Elevate your career
As a business communicator, professional certification can elevate your career and help keep your skills fresh and applicable. It provides a great opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and expertise. And it could help you land your next big opportunity or perform at a higher level in your current role.
IABC has launched a new certification program that will offer four levels of certification to professional communicators. The certification program is administered by the GCCC – an arm’s length organization established by IABC for this purpose.
Learn more about the GCCC and the certification program.
Two levels of certification are now available :
- Communication Management Professional (CMP) — for generalist, specialist and other business communicators established in their careers and looking to demonstrate their competence.
- Senior Communication Management Professional (SCMP) — for highly skilled business communicators practiced in providing strategic communication advice and counsel to an organization’s leadership.
The additional levels planned are:
- Foundational — for people who have recently joined the profession (expected to be available in 2019)
- Business Leader — supporting highly experienced professionals who wish to demonstrate their mastery and leadership (expected in 2018)
Steps to becoming certified
On the GCCC site:
- Review the requirements
- Download the latest candidate handbook
- Submit your application and pay the fee
When your application has been approved, you’re ready to take the exam (see upcoming exam dates and locations).
Maintain your certification
Once you’re certified, you must maintain your certification through continuing professional development and an annual fee.
Want to know more?
If you’re interested in receiving updates regarding certification from IABC/BC, including possible local exam offerings, please contact email@example.com.