Coquitlam School District No. 43
Assistant Director, Communications
and Community Relations
This position is being advertised internally and externally concurrently.
Applications are being sought for the position of Assistant Director of Communications and Community Relations.
As the third largest school district in the province we are located within a 40-minute drive from downtown Vancouver. The school district has a population of 32,000 students with approximately 4300 teaching, administrative, managerial and support staff. Our school district values a coordinated, collaborative approach to working with our students, parents, community partners, the public, and employee groups. Candidates must have a strong belief and commitment to, as well as experience in, public education.
The successful candidate will have effective interpersonal, supervisory, communication and organization skills with a proven ability to work and manage effectively in a unionized setting. They will have a demonstrated commitment to professional development and continual growth as an educational leader. The Assistant Director of Communications and Community Relations supervises the bargaining unit position of Social Media/Communications Assistant.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Communications and Community Relations shall be carried out in accordance with the School Act, School Act Regulations and Board Policy. In the performance of those duties, the Assistant Director of Communications and Community Relations will report to the Superintendent.
The successful candidate will:
- Act as the spokesperson and public face of the school district and ensure that messages about our district are consistent and managed positively.
- Act as a resource to the public, school district staff and the Board of Education.
- Develop strategic marketing/communications plans that provide direction for messaging, procedures and policy and ensure alignment to the district’s vision.
- As the media liaison, seek out information and provide comments, story/photo opportunities, draft press releases, create itineraries and provide appropriate follow-up.
- Develop key messages and provide briefing/background information to the Board.
- Organize both annual and extraordinary events and recognition as required both within the district and with Ministry offices.
- Develop and maintain content for the SD43 website.
- Act as the Freedom of Information (FOI) single point of contact for the district; present FOI workshops to staff and prepare responses and information as required.
- Manage and coordinate the updates and distribution of the Policy/Administrative Procedure manual.
- Acts as chair and member of various committees, including attendance at Board and Budget meetings.
- Respond appropriately to all emergent requests or situations as necessary.
- Degree in Communication and/or a Diploma in Journalism, Broadcasting, Communications, Public Relations or Marketing combined with relevant experience.
- Experience dealing with local government, the public sector, issues management and public consultation is an asset.
- Exceptional English language communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential.
- Demonstrated experience in communications, graphic design and marketing.
- Sound knowledge and experience in education is an asset along with evidence of continued professional growth.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work with groups.
- Excellent computer skills and working knowledge of multiple programs for communications and marketing.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
APPLICATIONS: A competitive salary is offered along with a generous benefits package. The successful applicant will be required to complete two criminal record checks.
Your application must include your resume, proof of education, two professional reference letters and three reference contacts (including email). One of your references must be from your current supervisor. To apply, forward your documentation to Brenda Niehaus, Manager, Human Resources by email to email@example.com by December 28, 2018 at 4:00 pm.
Applications will be assessed as they are received
We thank you for your interest in this position but regret that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful applicant must sign a release form to permit a criminal record review prior to confirmation of hiring.
“The deliberations of employees, and Committees used to screen and consider job applications, shall be kept in strict confidence, and shall not be disclosed to any person except as required by law. Personal references, recommendations and evaluations collected or generated by Board employees and Committee members as part of the Board’s hiring processes (other than references whose authorship and content is already known to the job applicant) shall be treated as having been supplied in confidence to the Board for the purposes of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.”