We are looking for a Senior PR and Communications enthusiast with leadership experience and an entrepreneurial desire to help grow and develop our Real Estate Department. You will be the leader of our high-performing PR for Real Estate Business Unit in Vancouver that works with the nation’s top real estate developers, supporting marketing efforts and garnering editorial coverage in top tier North American media outlets like Globe and Mail, Forbes and Bloomberg. You will have the opportunity to grow your career in many ways alongside an award-winning senior leadership team, owning your own portfolio and ultimately shaping your team as if you were running your own stream of business.
With a focus on your own P&L, business development (sales) and team development – this role is the ultimate opportunity for someone who is entrepreneurial, but values being surrounded by mentors and business coaches as they grow. Unlike most roles in a traditional PR Firm, this role has autonomy; and an entrepreneurial individual will excel running their own business unit, while thriving with the support of a robust Senior Leadership Team (including HR & operations support as well as robust sales mentorship) who will work with you to ensure your department’s success.
Talk Shop is a full-service, integrated communications agency and one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers. We value bright ideas and are always looking for smarter ways to work. We work with diverse clients in technology alongside consumer goods, lifestyle and real estate. Our team is made up with smart, driven, kind people who celebrate each other’s successes and learn from our mistakes. Our employees enjoy perks like flexibility, paid time off for volunteer days, learning and development sessions and competitive pay. Talk Shop has the industry’s lowest turnover rates – our people have the opportunity to build careers at Talk Shop and we offer mentorship and coaching to support career growth.
A day in the life of a Talk Shop Business Director
- Build smart PR strategies that move the needle for our clients
- Lead client relations for our Real Estate accounts, ensuring that we’re wowing clients with impactful coverage, clear communication and no missed deadlines
- Engage with and be a participating member of the Real Estate industry in Vancouver and beyond, this may include being a member of the ULI and UDI.
- Manage a team of Account Managers and Associates who you will work with on a daily basis – guide their efforts, helping them improve and grow, and be seen as a true leader within the company
- Work alongside your fellow leaders in the firm, supporting and asking for support from a team of peers who work for the common good of the company, despite varying industry specializations
- Build long term relationships with clients, spearheading efforts to ensure we are a valuable and creative partner to the businesses that we serve
- Proactively identify new opportunities or strategies to better serve clients
- Write, and oversee the writing of, impactful media pitches that quickly communicate why our clients are changing the world
- Come up with bright ideas and solutions – if your team’s pitches aren’t landing, you’ll lead discussions about what else they can try
- Write clear, concise press releases that capture media attention
- Learn about sales as you support Business Directors and VP’s with business development as needed
- Execute some business development tasks, as an extension of client relations
- Participate in Talk Shop culture events and touch points – we work hard, but make time for each other
What you’ll bring
- 6-10 years of PR/Comms experience, ideally some within an agency/firm setting
- Some business development or sales experience, ideally from selling and growing business within an agency setting
- Team management experience – you enjoy leading a team and lifting others up through mentorship and training
- Confidence in directing your team through positive client communications – you are a clear communicator and enjoy building relationships with others
- Passion for the real estate industry – we want to hear about what you’re reading on a daily basis, who your favourite real estate reporters are and what developers entice you
- Exceptional creativity – a great eye for a story, and ability to come up with creative ways to use communications to engage stakeholders
- Excellent writing skills – ability to weave current events, policy news, trends and data into insightful content for media consumption
- Ability to manage priorities and balance deadline-driven workload with complete accuracy
- Extreme attention to detail – you take pride in the high-quality, client-ready work you produce
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to lead and develop a high performing team
- The Talk Shop team values humility, ingenuity, humour, and integrity. We think you’ll be a great fit if you love to see your hard work come to fruition, celebrate achievements, and connect with your team
Talk Shop is committed to offering competitive pay for the role and experience that the candidate brings. This is an opportunity to work with the best PR teams in the business. We offer learning, development and mentorship so that our team can grow and we can promote from within where possible.
We offer comprehensive health and dental benefits. We value employee wellness and take care of our team, delivering treats like swag, paid breakfasts and team events whenever possible.
COVID has been a difficult time for all small businesses – we have prioritized taking care of our team through transparency, virtual team days, continued learning and a company-wide bonus structure.
This role is based out of our head office in Vancouver BC. During usual operations, this role requires an in-office presence as well as in-person attendance at client meetings. Due to the pandemic, however; this role is temporarily remote. Once restrictions ease, you will have the opportunity to work from a socially distanced and safe office space 1 – 2 days per week.
Please email your resume and two relevant content samples to email@example.com with the subject Business Director – Real Estate.
Talk Shop is committed to having ongoing conversations with candidates and our team to ensure accessibility needs are accommodated. We are prioritizing the hiring of a candidate that reflects the diverse population we serve, and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Successful candidates will be contacted and while we appreciate the time required to apply, we ask that no applicants call the office to follow up.
The close date for this job application is April 6, 2021.