The Communications and Outreach Specialist is a member of the Communications & Societal Engagement team. Reporting to the Vice President, Communications & Societal Engagement you are an impeccable story teller who is comfortable creating content for all mediums. You possess both digital and visual literacy skills which you know how to apply to create effective content strategies and stories. Working collaboratively with your immediate team members and across the organization, you will apply your skills to produce digital media content, blogs and impactful narratives to elevate Genome BC’s role as a convener, influencer and genomics leader in BC. You are familiar with social media management systems and are able to develop and execute content strategies across platforms. You have the ambition and drive to advance change and initiate cutting edge approaches.
You are an enthusiastic, organized, independent and creative individual with a passion for science and learning. You possess confidence and experience and aspire to work in a high energy creative and driven team and you know how to execute. In addition, you have strong event savvy and know how to organize, market and execute high quality outreach activities. You want to join a team that is committed to ensuring high quality, impactful communications and outreach initiatives.
Core duties and responsibilities:
- Developing and executing a social media plan including email and social media analytics
- Coordinating and managing all organizational Social Media accounts. Building and maintaining relationships with regional and national social media influencers to create a strong community of brand supporters
- Actively exploring opportunities to improve Genome BC’s digital engagement presence
- Staying current in new media best practices and experimenting with new and emerging platforms
- Writing and editing for a variety of documents including collateral such as research updates, newsletters, press releases, annual reports, web content, and speaking notes
- Playing an integral role in the development of the Genome BC blog
- Ensuring comprehensive distribution plans for all communications collateral
- Planning and coordinating a multitude of corporate events aimed at community engagement to enhance organizational visibility and credibility
Required skills and experience:
- Excellent communication, both verbal and written, with the ability to write for and make content accessible to all levels of users
- Strong social media knowledge and execution experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Analytics, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat and Twitter. Adobe tools such as Photoshop and Premiere Pro are a bonus
- Working knowledge of social media platforms and tools including Hootsuite, individual channel insights/analytics and boosted posts
- Science acumen and the ability to synthesize complex information
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Proven experience with content and channel integration.
- Ability to think broadly and make connections across multiple platforms
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently as well as within a multidisciplinary team environment
- A related degree such as Journalism, Public Relations or Science Communications
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience
- Proof of ongoing professional development skill acquisition
How to apply: Applicants should include a current CV with a cover letter indicating, anticipated start date and the names and contact information for at least two references. Please send the application in MS Word or PDF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: December 5, 2018
We thank you for your interest in Genome BC. Only those candidates short listed for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Genome British Columbia invests in genomics innovation to address critical challenges in key economic sectors such as health, forestry, fisheries and aquaculture, agrifood, energy, mining and environment. In addition to scientific programming, Genome BC works to integrate genomics in to society by supporting responsible research and innovation, and is committed to fostering an understanding and appreciation of the life sciences among educators, students and the public. genomebc.ca