The Communications Advisor is a key role in the Corporate Affairs team who develops and executes strategic communications initiatives to help Seaspan Shipyards achieve its business objectives.
This newly-created role is based in Victoria, B.C.
This position will support marketing and communications activities across Seaspan Shipyards’ three sites (Victoria and 2 in North Vancouver). The Communications Advisor will produce a range of communications products, manage social media channels, contribute to outreach activities, maintain brand standards, and contribute to developing and implementing standards, policies and processes to enable the Corporate Affairs team to operate efficiently and to scale with quality and efficiency.
Note: Travel is required for this role, up to 10% This includes day trips from Victoria to North Vancouver and occasional multi-day trips to locations in Canada (our Ottawa office, trade shows, etc.). Multi-day travel is typically 3-5 days with planned notice in advance.
- Work closely with the Corporate Affairs team and business leaders to develop and implement marketing and communications strategies that support business goals integrated within the overall Corporate Affairs strategy.
- Develop and manage a high-level social media strategy. Manage Seaspan’s social media channels, including development and delivery of compelling content that increases engagement with customers and audiences. Our social media channels are Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Write and edit a variety of communications products for various audiences and channels (e.g. presentations, social media posts, brochures and other marketing collateral, videos, web content).
- Uphold Seaspan Shipyards’ brand, ensuring the consistent and proper use by establishing process and guidelines for effective and efficient communication and branding efforts.
- Contribute to developing and implementing innovative and creative executive engagement campaigns, in collaboration with team members and across Seaspan entities.
- Project-lead multiple initiatives including working with internal and external design teams, as well as external vendors as required.
- Oversee the collection of visual photographic and video assets across Seaspan Shipyards sites to ensure events and project milestones are captured effectively.
- Create and maintain reports on marketing and communications activities to measure effectiveness, business impact and performance against KPIs.
- Support the development and implementation of standards, policies and processes that improve team efficiency and contribute to organization-wide continuous improvement initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A post-secondary degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or Journalism is required.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in marketing and communications roles, preferably in industrial, manufacturing or government sectors.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, with a strong eye for details. Strong communication and presentation skills with a demonstrated ability to influence, motivate and persuade internally at all levels of the organization.
- Proven success using digital media and formats (intranets, video, podcasts, social, mobile, etc.). Strong social media management skills. Art and/or graphic design experience, including experience creating compelling visual content, an asset.
- Strong business acumen, with a balance of creativity and an analytical mindset.
- Positive, poised and approachable, able to gain confidence of Senior Executives and build positive relationships with Team Members at all levels of the organization.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, in particular PowerPoint.
- Experience with Word Press, Adobe Creative Suite and SharePoint.
- Experience with video editing, design and desktop publishing tools, web design, content management systems, digital asset management and email marketing tools.