About Ocean Wise
Ocean Wise is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to engaging and inspiring the global community to protect the health of our oceans. Specifically, we work to engage, inform and inspire people to experience curiosity, wonder, and a desire for an ever-deeper understanding about oceans, as well as a way to conserve them. We accomplish this through our mission-driven aquarium operations, education and engagement in live and digital platforms, and through powerful creative storytelling drawing on original and curated scientific research.
Communications at Ocean Wise
Ocean Wise seeks a dynamic communications advisor to be part of a progressive communications team. The communications advisor is part of a communications team that supports the growing Ocean Wise conservation initiatives including its Ocean Wise Seafood and Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup programs. Key responsibilities include developing and executing strategic communications plans to engage Canadians and raise awareness of direct action, research and education programs. The communications advisor contributes to the overall goals of enhancing the Aquarium’s image and stature, engaging consumers in conservation initiatives and increasing its consumer reach to support the organization’s strategic direction.
The Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate is a highly successful professional with a demonstrated ability to use available resources to deliver on results. With a personal record of success in communications and media relations, and a solid grasp of planning and execution, the communications advisor will lead on communications strategies aimed at engaging people to increase participation in Ocean Wise initiatives and activities. To be successful in this role, he/she must have a solid communications background, along with a passion for healthy oceans.
With a minimum of six to eight years’ relevant experience, the communications advisor will have an opportunity to develop comprehensive, integrated strategies and establish timelines and budgets which are aligned with the organization’s overall objectives. The results will be measurable and the individual will be held accountable for the deliverables. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in this area and will bring a disciplined approach to the achievement of the established goals.
Ocean Wise is a mission driven organization. Staff, volunteers and the Board of Directors believe strongly in the mission and go above and beyond because they are committed to advancing conservation and sustainability. The communications advisor will demonstrate the same passion and effectively harness this to develop, maintain and advance relationships with internal and external stakeholders, strategic partners and suppliers.
TO APPLY: Apply directly on our website vanaqua.org/join/careers
The Communications Advisor is responsible for leading the development, implementation and measurement of the organization’s communications strategies and tactics to achieve increased public awareness and goodwill across a broad audience. This position contributes to the development of an annual communications strategic plan that aims to raise awareness about ocean health issues, engage Canadians to connect with conservation opportunities, such as the Ocean Wise Seafood and Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup® programs.
This position develops and prepares communications plans, reports, briefs; presentations and media materials that serve to enhance the organization’s reputation and stature, increase the number of participants in direct action programs and engage consumers on conservation issues. The incumbent also serves as project manager, editor and writer for publications/stories in print and digital formats, including social media. He/she also monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of communications programs.
Develops proactive communications plans that support the Ocean Wise’s goals and objectives by:
- Planning, leading and measuring outcomes of communications plans that support the organization’s goals and objectives, specifically in promoting the conservation initiatives that drive behaviour change;
- Contributing to the development of an annual editorial strategy to plan story pitches and promotional/brand positioning opportunities;
- Contributing to the development of an annual digital strategy to plan, manage and execute digital engagement opportunities, including social media;
- Leading communications to support conservation goals and objectives;
- Leading communications for media and consumer engagement opportunities;
- Providing communications counsel and messaging to respond to issues;
- Developing and preparing communications plans, reports, briefs, presentations and media materials that serve to enhance the program’s reputation and stature and increase the number of engaged consumers.
Serves as Project Manager, Editor and Writer on various projects by:
- Developing briefing notes, speaking points, backgrounders, messages, and other reference materials to support senior leaders as organizational representatives;
- Managing, editing and writing for publications and reference materials in print and digital;
- Managing and coordinating the use of digital media tools.
Leading Media Relations activities by:
- Developing media pitches and connecting with media on key opportunities;
- Planning, managing and measuring media outcomes to ensure media targets are met;
- Coaching and developing talking points for media spokespersons;
- Rotating, on-call 24/7 to respond to media inquiries.
Consciously improves the overall organization and its processes by:
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of EMS protocols;
- Maintaining and supporting organizational safety standards;
- Abiding by all organizational policies and procedures;
- Performing other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience
- Six to eight years of progressively senior communications experience;
- Minimum six years of experience leading marketing and communications planning and executing on campaigns;
- Established relationships with regional, national and international media;
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated experience in social media and digital campaigns;
- Undergraduate degree in communications, marketing or journalism;
- Senior experience in communications planning, execution and measurement;
- Senior experience in media relations and issues management.
- Fluency in English and French (spoken and written) is preferred;
- Excellent people skills with the ability to work in a team;
- Excellent relationship building skills to develop strong relations with persons at all levels within and external to the organization;
- Outstanding written, oral communication and presentation skills;
- Comfort and confidence in working with senior corporate executives;
- Proven communications, marketing and promotion skills;
- Strong ability to inspire the confidence and trust of sponsors and partners;
- Ability to work with a high degree of discretion and tact in handling confidential matters;
- Detail oriented and accurate in execution, ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision;
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment, maintains a positive frame of mind and sets an example of professionalism for other employees;
- Demonstrated analytical, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining highest standards of accuracy and quality;
- Ability to deal with time pressures in a calm and organized manner;
- Superior organizational ability and time management skills;
- Advanced level MS Office.
- Rotating, on-call 24/7 to respond to media;
- Working in the public forum;
- Normal office environment with usual conditions, though may be called on to work in various off-site locations;
- May be required to occasionally work in the evening and/or weekend for event(s) and media cultivation.
Apply directly on our website vanaqua.org/join/careers