Thompson-Nicola Regional District
Communications and Marketing Manager
COMPETITION NO: 2018-002
TERMS: Permanent Full-Time
HOURS OF WORK: Monday to Friday 8:30 - 4:30
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4:00 p.m., February 5, 2018
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region's beauty - pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests and both historic and modern areas, all within approximately 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 130,000 located within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
The Communications and Marketing Manager plays a key leadership role at the Regional District reporting to the Director of Corporate Services. As a member of the management team, along with the other department managers and directors, this position contributes to achieving the overall vision of the organization and the communities we serve.
In consultation with the CAO and the senior management team, the Communications and Marketing Manager oversees the execution of all outgoing public information, including the Annual Report, media releases, advertising, marketing materials and community engagement materials. As delegated by the CAO and/or the Chair of the Board, this position may act as the media spokesperson for the Regional District.
This role is responsible for both internal and external communications. An initial and key priority for this portfolio will be to strengthen the TNRD brand to increase public awareness of all the services provided by the Regional District to the region’s communities and the citizens we serve. Through effective internal communications, the Communications and Marketing Manager must embed the corporate values and develop strategies, channels and processes to support strong 2-way internal communications. This position leads the Communications Department engaging staff and encouraging strong productivity and performance.
The incumbent must use their creativity, expertise and imagination to adapt to changing situations. They must continually develop and strengthen communication channels utilized by the organization, including traditional print, television and radio media, as well as social media. This includes staying current on emerging trends and measuring the effectiveness of existing channels.
To meet the requirements of this position, you have:
- A degree in a relevant field, such as communications, marketing, etc.
- At least five years of related, progressively responsible experience, with at least two years of this experience in a formal supervisory position
- Experience in a unionized, local government organization, preferred
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Skills and Abilities
- Proven leadership in communications/marketing strategies
- Superior communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and methods relating to communications and reputational management
- Extensive knowledge of public relations, social media, website management, advertising, marketing and branding
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with elected officials
- Proven effectiveness in clearly presenting written and verbal information, managing conflict and develop effective working relationships internally and externally to the organization
- Ability to complete varied duties simultaneously within deadlines
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, website maintenance, social media and a variety of other software programs
This is a non-union position, with a competitive compensation package being offered.
Please email your application to email@example.com by
4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 5, 2018 quoting Competition No. 2018-002.
Applications must include a cover letter and a resume outlining your qualifications and experience.
Thank you for considering the Thompson-Nicola Regional District as a place to share your talents!
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.