Technical Safety BC
Status: Casual, Full-Time, Union - Appointment Date until January 31, 2020 or sooner
Pay Rate: $34.32 - $39.74
Reports to: Leader, Communications
- Media Relations: Develop, plan and implement proactive media relations, including providing counsel and advice relating to media/public issues to employees. Organize both social and traditional media relations activities as required, to support Technical Safety BC initiatives. Liaising with, and answering enquiries from media, individuals and other organizations. Collating and analyzing media coverage.
- Internal and External Communications: Plan and implement internal and external communications strategies as assigned to communicate corporate and strategic information to targeted audiences. Maintaining and updating information on the organization's website. Fostering community relations through events and through involvement in community initiatives. Managing the PR aspect of a potential crisis situation.
- Communications Plans: Prepare and implement formal communications plans, and assess the effectiveness of communications plans, to determine whether objectives are met. planning, developing and implementing PR strategies.
- Issues Management: Provide advice and support to employees and recommend responses to public issues to ensure the organization’s interests and reputation are protected.
- Writing and Editing Materials: Compile information and write a myriad of collateral materials, including: corporate content, presentations, briefing notes, news releases, speeches, brochures, backgrounders, digital content, newsletters, profiles, bios, marketing material, and articles for publications and websites to support BCSA goals and objectives. Writing and editing in-house magazines, case studies, speeches, articles and annual reports.
- Corporate Event Management: Identify, plan and support internal and external events including representing the organization at events as required.
- Communications Support and Advice: Provide advice and support internally on communications strategies to ensure a consistent and collaborative approach across the organization.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Experience planning and implementing stakeholder, public and media relations strategies and programs.
- Experience preparing news features, releases, brochures, publications, issue updates, briefings notes, speeches and presentations.
- Experience responding to media inquiries.
- Experience analyzing social market research.
- Experience assessing the effectiveness of communications programs.
- Experience developing and recommending promotional and event content.
- Ability to advise members of the senior management team.
- Ability to quickly establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong ability to work closely with cross-functional teams to achieve communications objectives.
- Superior writing, editing, social media and computer, skills.
- Experience with media monitoring and web-based communication platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Self-starter with excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to respond to issues and enquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to identify potential stakeholder/public concerns.
- Requires a degree in communications, public relations, journalism or a related discipline supplemented by a minimum of 3 years of experience in corporate communications.