The City of Surrey’s Engineering Department is a true leader in the industry with a number of high profile projects and key initiatives. We are seeking a Communications Coordinator (CSC2) to plan, develop and implement communication strategies and community engagement services to support Engineering’s goals and priorities and enhance resident understanding and involvement. This position will report to the Engineering Communications Manager.
- Research, plan, develop and execute communication strategies to support Engineering initiatives, events, campaigns and communications
- Use a variety of media channels for internal and external promotion, advertising and media relations
- Assist in developing messaging and marketing plans for specific Engineering-related projects
- Plan and execute social media and/or communication strategies to increase community engagement and awareness, and improve responsiveness and transparency with Surrey residents
- Ensure consistency of communications and optimal user experience
- Provide advice to internal stakeholders within the Engineering Department on how to strengthen communication links with Surrey residents using web, new media and/or relevant communication methods
- Write media releases, public service announcements and corporate reports for Engineering Department initiatives, as required
- Assist in monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of communications activities in terms of meeting departmental and/or program objectives
- Develop and maintain effective liaison and strong working relationships at all levels while working in a dynamic environment
- Work in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Section to ensure approach and messaging is aligned with the City’s overall strategic direction and objectives
- Perform other related job duties.
Along with strong collaboration skills, you use your excellent communications skills to assist staff in tailoring, writing, editing and layout principles and techniques as well as knowledge of media channels and principles related to each medium.
- University or college level graduation in a related discipline supplemented by formal business training
- Minimum 3-5 years of progressively responsible relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Public sector experience and knowledge of municipal Engineering or infrastructure projects would be an asset
- Knowledge of and experience using graphic design processes and content management systems to deliver on communications goals would be an asset
- You should thrive at meeting deadlines, working on multiple tasks and adapting to change
- Have considerable knowledge of media channels, web and social media analytics and familiarity with communication principles specific to each media
- Have exceptional verbal and written (digital, document and presentation formats) communication skills, with exemplary attention to detail
- Be aligned with the City of Surrey’s Core Values of Community, Integrity, Innovation, Teamwork, Service.
To be considered, please include along with your resume a cover letter and two (2) written work samples.