The City of Penticton is a vibrant, innovative, adventurous waterfront community focused on sustainability, community and economic opportunity. We are seeking an energetic and innovative Communications Manager to join our team. This is a new role designed to build and implement a strategic, integrated and cohesive communications program for The City.
If you have a passion for community and an interest in public service, this might be the position for you. Can you build strategy and successful relationships both with City leaders and staff and with external stakeholders, at the same time as rolling up your sleeves and executing communications projects and channels? It’s a big and important job, we know, and you won’t be alone. You’ll be supported by two direct reports – a Marketing & Communications Assistant and an Engagement Consultant.
Your accountabilities will include:
• Overall communications strategy and reputation management activities on behalf of City administration, as well as support for the communications work of the elected Mayor
• Strategy, ownership, content creation and evaluation of all major City communication channels, including various social media
• The development of professional relationships with local media
• Proactive issues identification and management, in consultation with business leaders
• Development and execution of the City’s Emergency Communications plan, as well as acting as an Information Officer for the Emergency Operations Centre
• The City’s engagement policy, program and activities.
• Leadership of the Communications team.
To be successful in the role, you’ll need:
• A post-secondary degree in Communications, Public Relations or a related discipline
• At least 7 years of progressively more responsible experience in a senior role
• Computer skills using a variety of software
And proven skills and experience in:
• Strategy and communications planning at an organization-wide level
• Advice and counsel to senior leaders
• Media relations – both proactive pitching and responding to the scrutiny that comes with a public facing organization
• Development and content creation for a full suite of communications channels
• Team leadership
• Well-developed influencing, problem solving and conflict management skills
• Mature and confident interpersonal skills
• Independent judgment, decision-making and initiative
• And, it’s a big job so superb organizational and time management skills are a necessity!
A happy bonus:
• Municipal or other government experience
Please submit your application, including a persuasive cover letter by 4:00pm on September 15th, 2017:
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION #17-64
City of Penticton, Human Resources
171 Main St. Penticton B.C. V2A 5A9