Under the strategic direction set by the vice-president, Communications and Advancement, you will contribute to the work of the department and university to strengthen its reputation and its relationships with key audiences locally, regionally and nationally. The communications department provides a centre for communications in five service areas: university communications; internal communications; news services; media relations; and editorial services.
Under the departmental direction of the senior communications manager and functional direction of the senior communications officer, you will create and deliver communications materials and communications activities in support of the university’s and department’s strategic goals and priorities. You will also collaborate with and offer intra- and cross-departmental communications support for schools, programs and units, including advancement, alumni relations, stakeholder and government relations, marketing and recruitment. You will also engage in social media functions, as well as media relations and issues management activities, and at times will provide communications services and counsel to the Royal Roads executive team.
By increasing awareness and profile of Royal Roads and its value proposition, (evidenced by faculty, student and alumni successes, its distinct learning and teaching model, market-responsive programs, applied research, initiatives, and events), you will support the work of the department to protect and strengthen Royal Roads’ reputation and build positive third-party support for enrolment growth and fundraising potential. Your role therefore supports the university’s six goals – in particular the goal of achieving strong partnerships, supportive to its alumni and the communities it serves.
To be well suited for this role you will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- A degree in public relations, communications or journalism and five years’ experience is preferred. A minimum of a two-year certificate in public relations, communications or journalism, with commensurate experience, may be considered.
- Advanced writing skills, including experience writing feature articles, news releases and related communications materials.
- Demonstrated experience across all communications platforms and channels including social media.
- Strong inter-personal and verbal communications skills, including the ability to deal sensitively with critical issues.
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills, including the ability to work to deadlines.
- Independent initiative, sound judgment and developed decision-making abilities.
- Media relations and/or issues management skills and experience considered an asset.
- Content management system experience considered an asset.
- Facility with computer programs such as the MS Office suite of software (training will be provided in department systems).
This is a regular, full-time position working 37.5 hours per week. This position has been evaluated at Grade 4 and the recruitment range starts at $55,841 per annum. The university is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of:
17-108-P0236 – Last name, First name
Or mail to:
Human Resources - Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition began on November 2, 2017 and will close at 6:00pm (Pacific time) November 26, 2017; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted. RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
Your personal information is collected under the authority of the University Act and is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Your personal information will be used to record and track your application for this competition and will not be disclosed to any other external third parties unless we are directed to do so by you. For more information regarding the collection and use of your personal information please contact Royal Road’s University’s Privacy Officer at (250) 391-2600 (Extension 4178) or via regular mail at 2005 Sooke Road, Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe pdf. format.