Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a talented Communications Specialist to be part of the dynamic group serving our Coastal Community of Care team, which is responsible for delivery of all public health care services offered in the geographic footprint of North and West Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, and all the way up the Sunshine and Central Coast of BC.
We need a smart, enthusiastic communicator with razor-sharp writing skills and a talent for multi-tasking, along with a positive, solution-oriented approach to teamwork, even when the job at hand is well outside of the box and has absolutely nothing to do with personal “to-do” for the day!
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Communications, with day-to-day assignments and work flow supervision from the Coastal Communications Leader, the Communications Specialist is on the front lines of executing internal and external communication and engagement strategies to advance Coastal-based initiatives, including ongoing implementation of the Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) project, support of capital projects like the Lions Gate Hospital Tower redevelopment, and so much more. The Specialist has superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and is extremely organized and detail oriented, capable of simultaneously managing multiple projects and client expectations.
The Communications Specialist has a flair for “productive innovation,” meaning he/she brings new ideas for content and communication approaches to the table, but uses intuition and a keen sense of observation to understand what will work for leaders, adapt on the fly, and consistently meet deadlines.
When it comes to writing, the Specialist does it all – from original, people-centred storytelling in newsletter articles, video scripts, blogs, speeches and presentations, to succinct operational communication in memos, issues notes, web copy, intranet updates and more. The Specialist works with the Communications Leader to provide input on communication strategies, but ultimately thrives on implementation, executing on the myriad of communication tools and tactics necessary to engage internal and external audiences on the issues, changes, opportunities, and everyday successes happening in the world of health care.
The Specialist also has outstanding customer service skills, with the ability to build rapport and trust with a broad group of stakeholders, and listen closely for insight about what clients really need in order to advance audience engagement.
On daily basis, the Specialist may attend project and team meetings, coordinate special events, conduct interviews and write original copy for numerous communication channels, run down the hall to shoot a quick video or two, and liaise with colleagues to assess emerging communication priorities. The Specialist also serves as a local point person to supplement the efforts of the Public Affairs team by investigating or flagging potential good news opportunities, identifying emerging issues, drafting issues notes, and providing media escorts.
We are looking for a Specialist to be based at Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver, but with a little bit of notice, will also be required to travel to other locations throughout the Coastal Community of Care. The preferred candidates will thrive in a fast-paced environment where creativity is welcome, excellence is the norm, and teamwork happens up, down and sideways each and every day.
We require education or experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as Journalism, Communications, Marketing or Public Relations. You should be a strong communicator with five (5) years’ recent, related experience. Previous experience working in health care or a public sector environment, and/or an agency, is desirable.
- With guidance and supervision from the Communications Leader, develops, contributes to, and implements communications strategies in support of internal and external audience engagement around organizational projects and priorities.
- Supports the development of VCH’s communications strategy to advance internal and external audience engagement.
- Researches, writes and distributes original content across all of VCH’s internal and external communication channels, including the weekly e-newsletter, blogs, project bulletins, web sites, teamsites, intranets and social media networks.
- Supports leaders in the development of operational communication tools, including speeches and presentations, memos, issues notes, surveys and bulletins.
- Supports internal audience engagement by planning and executing all aspects of special events and forums.
- Works closely with corporate communications and public affairs teams to ensure consistent messaging and alignment with corporate brand.
- Supports local leaders and the public affairs team by providing media escorts, troubleshooting, providing crisis communication counsel, and gathering information in support of issues management and proactive media opportunities.
- Provides counsel to leaders to enhance and protect organizational reputation, including identifying and advocating adoption of fresh approaches to employee and physician engagement as appropriate.
- Acts as Project Manager in executing communications tactics in accordance with overall strategic plans, along with monitoring costs and budgets, timelines, resources and measuring outcomes.
- Provides communications support to corporate and regional project teams as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Role Specific Expertise:
- Demonstrated excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, with exemplary attention to detail.
- Demonstrated critical thinking coupled with the ability to produce effective products and campaigns.
- Demonstrated content planning skills.
- Demonstrated experience with graphic design tools and layout..
- Demonstrated solutions-focus, positive attitude, maturity and ability to engage a variety of busy stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate events and forums to advance stakeholder engagement with organizational initiatives.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to independently research, prioritize and assemble details for all aspects of a project or initiative.
- A results-oriented and enthusiastic team player who thrives on new challenges and responds nimbly to new priorities.
- Strong customer service skills to adeptly investigate client needs and negotiate communication solutions that are both cost effective and aligned with stated audience needs.
- Demonstrates flexibility and the willingness to work across individual roles to deliver collaborative communication solutions.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Contributes to a team environment by working efficiently, professionally and in a friendly manner, and establishes and maintains a harmonious working relationship with all colleagues.
- Advanced computer skills in organizational electronic communication technology, publishing and web-based communications. Demonstrated expertise with MS SharePoint, Adobe, InDesign, and Photoshop is desirable.
Qualified applicants only please submit a resume and covering letter quoting competition # 107656-tbo. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Apply here: http://bit.ly/2LybDic