BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Career Opportunity: Communications Specialist – Strategic Content Writer (Term for a period up to 3 years)
Want to work in a fast-paced environment using your skills to collaborate with dedicated people and benefit all Canadians? Join our team and connect your world to us.
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is responsible for the stewardship of Canada’s largest port, and our vision is to the world’s most sustainable port.
Reporting to the manager, strategic communications, the communications specialist – strategic content writer position is responsible for developing strategic and engaging content for a variety of audiences and platforms. This position supports the port authority’s efforts to implement highly effective issues management and corporate communications strategies. This position is also responsible for reviewing, proofreading and re-writing content with a strategic lens, as necessary, and in line with specific communication objectives and the organization’s corporate style guide and brand guidelines.
This role will:
- Create strategic content to support business objectives and increase awareness of the port authority’s mandate and role, as well as the importance of the Port of Vancouver to national trade
- Work with other departments and subject matter experts to ensure complex information is presented in clear, relatable language for a variety of audiences
- Research, draft and finalize high quality and strategic corporate materials including, but not limited to:
- Web copy
- Intranet copy
- Q/A documents
- Corporate reports
- Flat sheet/brochure content
- Briefing notes
- Government submissions
- Award submissions
- Recommend strategic measures to enhance clarity of relevant information in support of the development of responses to public inquiries
- Review, proofread and edit existing materials to ensure consistency of messaging and application of corporate style guidelines
- Work with other departments to identify opportunities for increased focus on transparency, plain language and responsiveness with a goal to increase public trust
- Support the Creative and Digital Communications team to develop content for corporate collateral such as brochures, flat sheets, newsletters, website etc.
- Perform other assigned duties as required
The successful candidate will have a university degree majoring in English, communications, political science or another acceptable degree along with a minimum of three years of strategic writing experience for corporate communications. Must have exceptional writing and editing skills, with use of Canadian Press standards and a clear understanding of the writing process. Experience and competency in developing strategic and engaging content is required, as demonstrated by a diversified writing portfolio with samples that address several complex communications challenges using multiple platforms for a variety of audiences and purposes. A writing test will be required.
This position is ideal for a self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills, including reliability, sound judgment, tact, and the ability to liaise confidently and effectively with internal and external stakeholders. This person will have an excellent command of the English language, with a passion and talent for writing strategically. Strong editing, proofreading skills are required. The ability to absorb information and pick up new concepts quickly, find and link information from numerous sources and break down complex information into simple output that’s easy to understand is essential. Must be a team player with good organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities against competing deadlines.
This position is part of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (I.L.W.U) Local 571 (C.L.C.) and the starting salary is $43.12 per hour for a 37.5 hour work week. The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority offers a competitive total compensation package including an earned time off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line by visiting http://www.portvancouver.com/careers/ by May 3, 2019. (Please note this posting will remain open until filled.)
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.