Community Relations Supervisor
Anvil Office Tower, New Westminster
This regular full-time (35 hours per week) position is available for the period of September 3, 2019 – November 27, 2020. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Occasional work arrangements at our Coquitlam Campus and New Westminster Campus will be required, as will occasional evening and/or weekend work.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Communications the Community Relations Supervisor enhances Douglas College’s reputation by developing relationships with strategic community partners, attending and/or representing the College at relevant community events, engaging with faculty and administrators, as well as planning and executing reputation-building events at the College. The position supervises the Events Coordinator and provides operational and strategic direction for both internal and external activities/events, as well as to the Public Affairs department.
1. Supervises and provides strategic direction and budget oversight to the daily operation of the Community Relations unit.
a. Supervises the work of the College’s Events Coordinator including monitoring and coordinating daily work operations to achieve efficiencies; directing work of a routine and non-routine nature and establishing priorities where applicable; ensuring adequate coverage for areas within responsibility, within existing budget parameters;
b. Coordinates orientation and training for staff within the Unit, providing the initial in-depth orientation and ensuring the provision of both initial and ongoing appropriate training in software applications and policies and procedures applicable to the Unit;
c. Applies the BCGEU collective agreement to daily decision-making within established standards;
d. Approves work schedules, timesheets, and vacation time;
e. Reviews and provides input into staff evaluations and job descriptions.
f. Researches, evaluates and recommends new trends, practices and policies in the field of Global Engagement and the Internationalization of Higher Education to ensure the College provides services in line with national and international current best practice;
g. Reviews, monitors and makes recommendations for revision to policies, procedures and processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the Unit and to support the departmental and institutional tactical and strategic plans of the College;
h. Implements detailed project plans for new systems and/or process improvements;
i. Responsible for the collection, analysis and writing of a variety of reports and presenting various metrics to inform the distribution of workloads, workflow and patterns;
j. Monitors Unit budget expenditures and resolves budget discrepancies as needed;
k. Recruits, hires, orients and supervises Student Assistants for Public Affairs, when applicable.
2. Develops relationships with strategic community partners to build Douglas College’s reputation.
a. Researches strategic relationship opportunities with agencies, businesses, municipalities and other groups;
b Develops and executes plans to engage with strategic community partners, through college events or external events or activities;
c. Liaises with the Marketing and Communications team to develop promotional and communications materials;
d. Liaises with Business Development when student employment, co-op, work experiences and other opportunities present themselves;
e. Represents the College or the Public Affairs department at internal and external events;
f. Maintains professional currency with respect to the principles and foundations of community relations, practices and activities;
3. Facilitates and organizes reputation-enhancing events.
a. Works independently with internal and external contacts to establish, maintain and monitor ongoing communication between members of the community, faculty, administrators, other College staff and
students to promote the strategic goals of Public Affairs and the College;
b. Assists the Associate Director, Communications in executing the College’s Strategic Plan as it relates to achieving community relations goals and objectives;
c. Develops, leads and coordinates special events and initiatives that enhance the reputation of the College and works as part of a team with other departments for special events, activities and initiatives as required;
d. Works with external contractors and College departments to develop a database of community and College contacts, interests and opportunities, maintains the database, produces reports and works with other College departments to adopt the database;
e. Coordinates various meetings, prepares agendas and ensures that minutes and related correspondence are distributed in a timely manner;
f. Supervises occasional summer students, providing orientation and ensuring the provision of appropriate training.
4. Produces a variety of documents and correspondence for internal and external distribution.
a. Prepares written communications and marketing materials as required, along with correspondence with internal and external community contacts;
b. Assists in the development and maintenance of the website and electronic signage;
c. Maintains records of contacts and activities, preparing regular statistical reports regarding Community Relations Unit activities;
d. Maintains a variety of paper and electronic records;
e. Creates, composes and prepares routine correspondence, memos, letters, reports,
diagrams, forms and minutes.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Three to five years’ experience in a community relations capacity that includes planning events, with a minimum of one year at a supervisory level.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills; organizational skills, proven ability to plan, schedule work flow and schedule, train and motivate employees; ability to work in an ever-changing environment. Experience supervising in a unionized environment would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in marketing programs or events to internal and external audiences.
- Good working knowledge of the principles and concepts of community engagement, as well as practices and current issues. An excellent command of the English language (written, verbal, aural, and cross-cultural).
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to work with community leaders, administrators, faculty, staff and students, as well as represent the interests of Douglas College and Public Affairs on community-based, external committees to identify and foster opportunities for partnerships and collaborations.
- A demonstrated ability to:
- Interact professionally with a high degree of discretion and confidentiality;
- Develop, establish and maintain good working relationships across diverse groups;
- Exercise initiative to complete work and look for opportunities for process improvement as well as new opportunities;
- Develop and manage diverse and dynamic teams;
- Provide excellent customer service;
- Create and manage budgets in a fiscally responsible manner;
- Plan, organize and establish work flow schedules in order to meet deadlines;
- Plan, organize and execute seminars, workshops and events;
- Design, compile, format and produce a variety of documents on the computer using Windows based computer software packages such as Word, Excel and Powerpoint; experience using database management systems and Banner would be an asset.
- Supervise volunteers;
- Work in a changing environment;
- Access to a vehicle and hold a valid BC Driver’s license.
Link to Full Position Profile
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online and received by July 9, 2019.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position.