Director, Community and Stakeholder Engagement
Job ID: 3265
Regular Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
Director, Community & Stakeholder Engagement
BC Housing is a provincial Crown agency with an annual budget of $1.45 billion (2019/20) and a portfolio of housing services and programs that assist 110,400+ households in over 300 communities provincewide. As such, we continually seek sustainable housing solutions that are supported by excellence in service delivery and research, and take into account social, financial and environmental impacts.
There is not a more compelling opportunity for a communications professional than joining the leadership of a team committed to making a positive difference in people’s lives and communities. This is that opportunity: BC Housing is recruiting for a Director of Community and Stakeholder Engagement, to build the capacity of the high-performing team responsible for delivering safe, affordable and quality housing for British Columbians.
The Communications Branch is responsible for developing and managing all aspects of internal and external communications strategies to educate and inform the public and staff regarding the delivery of affordable housing programs by the government. This is achieved through a broad range of activities related to media relations, issues management, social media, employee communications, and government, stakeholder and community relations. As Director of Community and Stakeholder Engagement, you’ll play a pivotal role not only in executing the Branch’s mandate, but especially in advancing BC Housing’s communications objectives.
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications, and occasionally acting for the VP, you’ll develop and lead a strategy to cultivate and support engagement with communities, stakeholders and partners regarding BC Housing plans, development projects and strategic initiatives. Keeping current with trends and best practices in communications, particularly within a complex organizational context, you’re well prepared to lead a team of professionals supporting BC Housing’s strategic objectives via communications planning, public engagement, tenant communications, municipal affairs, Indigenous relations, issues management, local and provincial public affairs, and thought leadership.
As part of the Communications leadership team, you’ll work closely with the VP in assessing the organization’s strategic communications requirements, developing a broad communications strategy, and providing oversight and quality control in the implementation of communications programs and initiatives. Fostering strong strategic relationships with the Ministry, the Minister’s Office, partner ministries, local governments, health authorities and housing sector partners, as well as positive relations with impacted tenants, neighbours, media and the general public, will be vital for success in this role.
If you're looking for a run-of-the mill communications role, this isn't it. But if you're an exceptionally capable and experienced leader who can uphold the highest level of integrity while implementing innovation that actually sticks, then this could be your opportunity to be part of one of the most well-respected, purpose-driven public sector organizations in the country.
With your extensive experience in a communications and public affairs environment, preferably in the public sector working with diverse communities and audiences, with specific experience in strategic communications planning, event management, issues management, digital strategy, marketing, public affairs and stakeholder relations, you have the solid background demanded by this senior mandate. As Director, Community and Stakeholder Engagement, you’ll also put to work your university degree in communications, journalism, public relations or another relevant discipline, and considerable experience managing, mentoring, coaching and developing employees. A post-graduate degree and/or accreditation/certification (APR or SCMP) would be an asset. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Employer will also be considered.
This is also a unique opportunity to display the following competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Core Competencies
- Personal Effectiveness
- Results Oriented
- Service Oriented
- Leadership Competencies
- Alignment & Results
- Team Development
- Relationship Building/Management
- Significant knowledge of the philosophies, principles and practices of communications planning and program implementation, stakeholder relations, public participation, and community engagement.
- In-depth knowledge of the affordable housing sector and understanding of the Commission's organization, programs and services, and related legislation and policies.
- Extensive knowledge in project communications and public engagement, including for major capital and/or residential projects.
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking, problem-solving, project management, organizational, consultative, facilitation, consensus-building and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong creative outlook and ability to develop innovative ideas and solutions.
- Effective leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead the development and implementation of plans, strategies and programs in a deadline-oriented, high-profile and demanding environment.
- Ability to establish a high level of rapport with the CEO, the Executive, senior management, the Minister’s Office and other partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to utilize judgment and sensitivity in presenting issues, and provide leadership and direction in determining appropriate courses of action.
- Exceptional ability to communicate effectively and creatively, both orally and in writing, within tight time frames.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate staff in a team environment.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of current trends and best practices in communications relevant to complex organizations.
To view the Job Description and to apply for the role of Director, Community and Stakeholder Engagement, visit https://www.bchousing.org/careers/current-opportunities. When applying, please submit a cover letter and your application as a single Word or pdf file. Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted.
BC Housing—one of BC's Top Employers for 2019 and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2019—is the provincial Crown agency that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Have Questions? Please see below for some useful information.
- E-Recruit FAQ’s