As Canada’s engaged university, SFU engages with communities, organizations and partners to create, share and embrace knowledge that improves life and generates real change. We deliver a world-class experiential education with lifelong value that shapes change makers, visionaries and problem-solvers. With campuses in British Columbia’s three largest cities – Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey – SFU has eight faculties, delivers almost 150 programs to over 38,000 students, and boasts more than 170,000 alumni in 143 countries.
We are looking for a strategically-minded media relations and public relations professional to join our fun and engaging Communications & Marketing team.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Media Relations & Public Affairs, you are a proven communication strategist with a results-driven focus. The ideal candidate has strategic level experience in issues management, crisis communications and media relations from diverse, complex public sector organizations. You have a strong service-oriented approach and enjoy working in a collaborative environment with a group of highly skilled and motivated professionals.
Your excellent communications skills span all aspects of communications and public relations (e.g. media relations, media events, partnership outreach and engagement). These skills guide your advice and leadership to two communications associates and two videography roles. Your honed media relations experience helps to manage day-to-day media calls, in consultation with senior administrative staff and key stakeholders. And you are able to represent the senior director, Media Relations & Public Affairs, as delegated/required.
This role collaborates with the larger SFU Communications & Marketing team, and faculty and department communicators, to align and leverage activities across SFU’s institutional channels in support of SFU’s reputation strategy.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications and seven years of related experience which includes experience leading large teams and managing complex projects, or an equivalent level of education, training, and experience.
- Proven communication strategist with a results-driven focus.
- Excellent communication and marketing skills across all aspects of communications and public relations programming (e.g., media relations, marketing, events, partnership outreach and engagement).
- Strong issues management and media relations experience.
- Excellent knowledge of marketing, branding, and communication theory and practice.
- Excellent knowledge and expertise in client service management and trusted advisor principles.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent team leadership skills and supervisory experience.
- Excellent collaboration and consensus building skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, exercising mature judgment and a high level of diplomacy and discretion. Ability to establish, evaluate, and execute short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to work on a variety of initiatives, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Proficient in the use of current communication applications, systems, and tools.
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.