BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Career Opportunity: Internal Communications Advisor (Replacement term for a period up to one year)
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
The Port of Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 360 kilometres of shoreline and waterways, bordering on 16 municipalities and intersecting with traditional territories and treaty lands of several Coast Salish First Nations. Annually $200 billion in goods with more than 170 world economies are traded through the port. The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority manages port lands at the Port of Vancouver, and leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers.
The Internal Communications Advisor is responsible for internal communications and assisting with other duties in Strategic Communications, as required. Specifically, the Internal Communications Advisor is responsible for developing and executing internal communications strategies, under the direction of the Manager, Strategic Communications. The advisor recommends strategic measures to enhance accessibility of information and creates content to increase employee awareness of our goals, initiatives, vision, mission and values. The Internal Communications Advisor works with the Information Services department to enhance user experience of the organization’s intranet and is responsible for uploading content and supporting the integration of department-specific information and tools to the intranet.
In this role, you will:
- Enhance accessibility of information by contributing to the development and implementation of internal communications programs, processes and channels
- Ensure multi-faceted internal corporate communications strategy is in place and well-documented to increase awareness of our goals, initiatives, vision, mission and values
- Ensure internal communications initiatives are integrated with each other and aligned with the overall communications and corporate strategies
- Develop processes to ensure high-quality internal communications materials are delivered, that their effectiveness and efficiency is measured, and that tactical plans are adjusted as necessary based on evaluation
- Ensure the relevant internal communications projects meet Vancouver Fraser Port Authority’s quality standards and are delivered on time and on budget
- As a trusted advisor, work with leadership and management teams to develop and implement appropriate internal communications strategies to maximize the effectiveness of leadership communications and activities as they related to internal communications
- Provide strategic recommendations to enhance the intranet end-user experience (visual design, navigation, content)
- Work closely with Information Services to improve the intranet’s structure and layout
- Work with content owners across the organizations to provide guidance on appropriate voice and writing style, and review before posting for consistency
- Monitor workforce perception and information needs and how these may impact business goals, informing leadership and making recommendations as appropriate
- Perform other assigned duties as required.
As a successful candidate, you will have completed a Bachelor’s degree in communications or business, along with at least four years’ experience in employee engagement communications, developing and executing senior communication strategies, and change initiatives is required. Experience working with the media and media spokespeople, and developing key messages and news releases, along with experience working with digital communications including intranets, social media platforms, video and multimedia in the context of organizational communications is required. Must have demonstrated ability to manage online communities and the ability to influence key stakeholders. Experience working with senior management is required.
Self-motivated, creative and innovative individual who demonstrates initiative. Strong strategic communication planning skills, along with an excellent command of the English language, both oral and written, and effective editing, writing and storytelling abilities. Must have good organizational, time-management and problem-solving skills. Must have the ability to manage multiple tasks and demands as required in a fast-paced environment. The ability to interact effectively and positively with internal and external stakeholders with diplomacy and tact is required, along with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, demonstrated customer-centricity and results orientation. Technological competency, especially with web-based content management and social media is also required.
This position is required to access restricted areas/information. The incumbent must obtain and maintain a valid Marine Transportation Security Clearance as defined by the Marine Transportation Security Regulations.
The port authority offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply by visiting www.portvancouver.com/careers/. Please note the approximate start date for this role will be October 2017.
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.