Reporting to the Director, Human Resources and Community Engagement, the Manager, Communications is responsible for providing highly anticipatory and responsive services to the organization and the team’s support of communications activities, in both internal and external capacities. This role supports the organization’s internal communications, associate engagement, community engagement, reputation and brand awareness activities. The role will work closely with the Human Resources and Community Engagement team and the corporate communications department to ensure consistent, strategic and brand aligned communications leveraging a variety of channels.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the development and execution of the internal and external communications strategy to ensure the communication of Employer programs, associate engagement and community engagement activities are consistently delivered, understood and embedded;
- Design and execute innovative tactics to measure employee engagement in key messages and effectiveness of key communications mediums;
- Analyze employee feedback mechanisms and interpret data to recommend best practices and new approaches for internal communications
- Support the development and cross training of the Internal Communications team to ensure the team is evaluating deliverables and adjusting to meet the business needs;
- Support and contribute to development and continuous improvement of the organization’s internal communications channels including intranet, digital boards, print and electronic communications;
- Review communication across the organization to develop, maintain and communicate standards and processes for internal communications to ensure clarity, simplicity, style, consistency as well as brand identity;
- Guide the creation of communication materials, utilizing multiple channels and mediums (digital media, brochures, presentations, newsletters, surveys, posters, trade show collateral, video scripts, production storyboards, website);
- Ensure internal communications are translated (English to French) in a timely manner and aligned with associate engagement and the internal communications strategy;
- Manage, develop and support community engagement initiatives including diversity and inclusion;
- Stay informed of key milestones and events from all departments and provide communication support and guidance in a timely manner;
- Manage the organization’s external communications to ensure consistency in key messaging and alignment with brand and corporate direction;
- Coordinate internal/external advertising to ensure maximum branding impact, consistency and ROI;
- Proofread, copy edit and review (internal and external) marketing and communication materials, including website, trade events, career fairs and other documents, annual reports, to ensure correct grammar, punctuation and brand standards have been applied;
- Participate in working groups to plan original communications products;
- Work with various key stakeholders including, Corporate Services, Senior Leadership and other relevant partners
- Leadership – direct others and develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods
- Flexible – open to change/new information and rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles
- Detail oriented – excellent attention to detail with the ability to follow through on assigned tasks
- Independent - ability to work well under limited supervision
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving - capable of complex reasoning analysis
- Results focused – driven to achieve
- Interpersonal skills – able to collaborate on projects, maintain effective relationships, and communicate clearly at all levels of the business
- Adaptability - capable of working in a fast-paced environment, adapt to various situations, and prioritize multiple work assignments simultaneously
- Team Player skills - Possess strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at appropriate times
- Normal office environment.
- General hours of Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm.
- Travel across Canada required; occasional travel within the U.S.
Minimum Education Preferred Degree or Type Bachelor’s Degree Business, Communications, Journalism, Human Resources, or related field Required Certifications & Licenses N/A Skills and experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in communications and media relations
- Experience within HR or related field considered an asset
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required, French is an asset
- Superior writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in web-based technologies as well as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe and Database Management
- A broad understanding of how the media works and thorough knowledge of marketing and communications, within legal or professional services
AFL is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, one where you have the tools and support to achieve your full potential. We welcome applications from all designated equity groups regardless of race, gender, disability or any other legally protected status. At AFL, we live by our core values: customers first; innovation; community engagement; integrity; collaboration and accountability; and environment, health and safety. These values drive our actions each and every day.
This job description does not constitute a “contract” between the employee and the employer. The job description duties may change at the discretion of the employer and/or the employer may request the employee to perform duties that are not listed on the job description.