You will be part of an exceptional and passionate health care team in one of Canada’s most spectacular natural environments with vast and stunning wilderness at your doorstep. YHC is an integrated system of hospitals – Whitehorse General Hospital (55 beds) Watson Lake Community Hospital (6 beds) and Dawson City Community Hospital (6 beds). You will be based in Whitehorse, the Yukon’s capital city, and gateway to the territory. Here you have the best of both worlds – access to many modern amenities and services as well as your choice of outdoor activities and adventures. As Manager, Communications, you have a one-of-a-kind opportunity to take a leadership role in strengthening communication, inspiring and engaging our patients and people, fostering a positive organizational culture, and supporting a seamless and safe patient journey.
Reporting to the Director People Services & Culture, the Manager Communications leads the development, implementation and management of the organization’s internal and external messages and communications activities in a way that supports our work and care environments as well as engages our team, patients and community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Excellent knowledge of communications and engagement strategies, methods and practices;
- Knowledge of established practice and procedures in health and social services program delivery;
- Knowledge of trends and developments in First Nations governments and Yukon politics;
- Good analytical, problem solving and evidence-based, decision-making skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to model appropriate behaviour and influence others to work effectively as a team;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent engagement and facilitation skills;
- Strong organizational, coordination, and time-management skills;
- Ability to demonstrate systems/critical thinking and set personal and team goals in a way that supports an organization’s values and direction;
- Ability to mobilize knowledge and exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with all of our people, partners and stakeholders;
- Ability to oversee development and design of collateral materials such as newsletters and advertisements as well as use the appropriate software;
- Ability to be self-aware, self-directed, and assertive
- Ability to deal with a variety of highly stressful situations; and prioritize workload
- Ability to think independently, be accountable, work with considerable independence, and operate with minimal direction;
- Ability to demonstrate humility, sound judgment and reliability; and
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- A degree in Journalism, Communications or related field; and a minimum of five (5) years’ directly related experience; or
- A degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field; and eight (8) to ten (10) years’ experience in progressively senior roles in a health-care setting.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience may be considered. Apply now by quoting competition 2018-350, and email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority consideration. We thank all those who apply and advise that only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.