The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR), funded by the Province of British Columbia, is BC's health research funding agency. MSFHR helps develop, retain and recruit the talented people whose research improves the health of British Columbians, addresses health system priorities, creates jobs and adds to the knowledge economy.
Since its inception in 2001, MSFHR has been a key participant in BC's health research and life sciences ecosystem. The Foundation works as a trusted partner with government, the health research community and the health system to support better health outcomes through research and its translation into new treatments, cures, practices and solutions. Learn more at www.msfhr.org.
This newly created role is a 12-month term position, with possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Director, Communications, the Manager, Corporate Communications plays a critical role in building our organization’s brand by implementing strategic communications initiatives in support of our 2020-2025 Strategic Plan. Some of these exciting initiatives include the redesign of the MSFHR brand, and the marking of our upcoming 20th Anniversary. This role develops and implements strategic communication plans, provides communications support to our executive team, manages stakeholder relations, and supports government relations initiatives.
We are looking for a mid-level communications professional who is looking to grow their career with us. Our team needs a strategically-minded, organized communications go-getter who has experience in brand development and management, project management, and corporate storytelling, who is keen to work with creative collaborators and be part of the creative design process.
You love owning a portfolio, and driving campaigns from start to finish. You can develop and produce a variety of internal and external communications plans, materials, and events, while viewing your work through a strategic lens to achieve goals and objectives. You are comfortable working independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Creates effective communication strategies and programs to enhance the organization’s brand awareness, in collaboration with the Director, Communications
- Delivers compelling stories about MSFHR’s reach and impact, and positively positions the organization in the minds of key influencers using a variety of technologies and channels
- Manages the stakeholder relations portfolio, including stakeholder map, and supports government relations initiatives
- Proactively identifies opportunities for increased visibility and thought leadership such as panel participation, speaking engagements, and op/ed articles; coordinates participation and supporting materials (e.g. key messages, Q&As, briefing notes, backgrounders, executive presentations)
- Plans and executes corporate events that strategically position MSFHR with stakeholders
Plays a key role in supporting the development and leading the implementation of organization-wide communications projects, which in the near-term include the following.
Marking the Foundation’s 20th Anniversary
- Working with an external agency, supports the development and leads the implementation of key marketing initiatives relating to the 20th Anniversary; these may include online events, webinars, and/or the production of videos, digital assets and materials
- Provides supervision to coordinator(s) to ensure the success of all logistical matters related to 20th Anniversary
- Supports the development of a new MSFHR brand, including
- Participating in planning meetings and bringing forward creative ideas
- Acting as liaison and project manager for the external agency conducting brand audits and competitive analysis
- Manages the implementation of the new brand, including
- Working with an external agency and internal team members to develop and implement the marketing plan to roll out the new brand
- Developing, in consultation with the Director, a robust communications and engagement plan, including materials and collateral
Team & Supervision
- Working closely with all members of the communications team, supports all marketing and communications efforts and assists with establishing
- Department goals
- Department plans and processes
- Department budgets
- Has dotted-line supervision of a coordinator, including providing direction and mentorship, and supporting plans for their professional development
Education and Work Experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in marketing, communications, digital media or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a professional communications role focused on branding and marketing
- Experience creating and implementing multi-faceted campaigns such as major anniversary, new product launch, merger and acquisition communications, brand redesign and launch
- Experience managing projects, including plans, timelines, and external suppliers or contractors
- Experience in formal stakeholder analysis and mapping exercises, and change management a definite asset
- Work experience in a research, academic or health care setting an asset
OR Equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement communications plans, coupled with meticulous attention to detail
- Thinks critically, is adaptable, takes a problem-solving approach to evolving organizational needs
- Organized, with a proven ability to identify priorities, complete multiple tasks and deliver results on deadline
- Energetic self-starter, with courage to be proactive, take initiative, and own a project from start to finish
- Open and enthusiastic about receiving feedback, and able to act on feedback when received
- Knowledgeable about and experienced in all aspects of digital marketing, including best practices and tools
- Comprehensive computer literacy including intermediate-advanced level skills with Microsoft Office, especially PowerPoint
How to Apply
If this sounds like you and you would like to play a role in maximizing the impact of health research in BC, please submit your resume, cover letter and portfolio online at www.msfhr.org/about/careers. We thank everyone for their interest but only suitable candidates will be contacted. This role is based in Vancouver, BC; candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada.