Manager, Government and Media Relations
Duration: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Richmond, British Columbia
Deadline date: July 17, 2020
We're looking for a perceptive and thoughtful individual to develop, manage, and implement our comprehensive media and government relations strategies. You're an experienced issues manager, a strong writer, and an experienced public affairs practitioner who understands both media and government. As WorkSafeBC's main conduit with media, you'll often be a spokesperson for interviews, representing our organization's commitment to the well-being of workers and employers across the province.
The manager, Government and Media Relations provides leadership and direction to establish effective implementation of strategies, plans and processes and ensures all external communications are strategic and consistent. Consider joining us to manage a team who strive to support an organization that makes a difference to the workers and employers of British Columbia.
As a manager, government and media relations you will:
- Work closely with the Director to develop WorkSafeBC's media and government relations strategy.
- Lead WorkSafeBC's media relations team; build and maintain relationships with media representatives; conduct interviews with radio, television, print or online media; conduct media outreach for promotional health and safety campaigns.
- Build and maintain a productive working relationship with provincial government, while also supporting MLA constituency offices with information about WorkSafeBC, as required.
- Work closely with Corporate Communications and Marketing to ensure a coordinated approach to all external communications, while also providing an issues perspective.
- Maintain knowledge of broader news and issues that may impact WorkSafeBC by monitoring news, government/policy, and social media channels.
We're looking for someone who can:
- Interact in a professional and confident manner with senior executive members and government officials
- Manage projects, issues, and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Influence others through excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Use personal resilience and stress proof tactics to work under high pressure
- Manage a small team and create a supportive working environment by promoting teamwork and collaboration, mentoring, and motivating
- Be perceptive and able to understand a variety of opinions and perspectives
- Be available evenings and weekends, as required, for serious incident reporting and communications with senior executive, government, and media.
- Some travel may be required
Your experience and educational background:
- A degree in media, communications, journalism, or public relations
- A minimum of ten years of experience at a senior management level in media and/or government relations
- Experience working in a news or media environment
- Strong command of BC government and media issues and culture
- Experience as a media spokesperson
Please send any additional application materials via email to Talent Team by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the competition.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application.
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about what we offer.
WorkSafeBC is an inclusive and accessible employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. Only those under consideration will be contacted. If you're unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5ee8ee994530fa089f2b8916/5ee8cdf24530fa089f2b7e90/en