The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR), funded by the province of British Columbia, is BC's health research funding agency. MSFHR helps develop, retain and recruit the talented people whose research improves the health of British Columbians, addresses health system priorities, creates jobs and adds to the knowledge economy.
Since its inception in 2001, MSFHR has been a key participant in BC's health research and life sciences ecosystem. The Foundation works as a trusted partner with government, the health research community and the health system to support better health outcomes through research and its translation into new treatments, cures, practices and solutions. Learn more at www.msfhr.org.
MSFHR is seeking a detail-oriented individual who will work alongside and support the Director of Marketing & Communications, for a 1 year maternity leave contract starting in April. The Manager of Marketing & Communications will provide strategic support for, and day-to-day management of, the Foundation’s communications and marketing activities, with a main area of focus on developing and implementing MSFHR’s digital strategy. The Manager will also provide strategic and tactical communications advice and support to departments and projects across the Foundation and participate in the planning and execution of the Marketing & Communications department annual plan.
Content strategy and development
- Work independently and in collaboration with Foundation staff and external experts to develop a wide range of communications materials (e.g. newsletter and web copy, blogs, interviews, speeches, marketing materials, social media content, presentations and reports) to promote MSFHR’s brand and value proposition.
Digital asset management
- Provide strategic direction, recommendations and day-to-day management of MSFHR’s digital channels including content development, environmental scanning, maintenance and ongoing updates, and evaluation and analytics.
- Maintain all functions of MSFHR’s website, including routine updates, ongoing analytics and measurement and structural changes to improve user experience and ensure alignment with the Foundation’s brand.
- In collaboration with the Director, Marketing and Communications, plan and implement MSFHR’s digital communication tools, such as e-newsletter and online publications, including liaising with graphic designers and content management contractors as required.
- Recommend and develop online engagement strategies for specific MSFHR programs and departments.
Strategy and Stakeholder Relations
- Build relationships with media outlets, university communications teams and other stakeholders, and proactively looks for opportunities to share information and pitch stories showcasing the impact of MSFHR and MSFHR-funded researchers.
- Develop and implement messaging for new projects and programs that is clear, consistent and in line with existing guidelines and brand voice.
- Support the Director, Marketing and Communications with issues management, conducting research and developing messages in response to emerging issues.
- Collaborate with staff across the Foundation to look for opportunities to promote the work of the organization, streamline processes and improve effectiveness.
- Develop communications plans for internal and external projects and activities as required with the support of the Director, Marketing and Communications and working collaboratively with other staff for input as appropriate.
Leadership and operations
- Recruit, selects mentor and evaluate the Marketing Communications & Design Coordinator.
- Participate in the development of departmental strategic plans, working closely with all members of the marketing & communications team.
- Support development and monitoring of relevant parts of departmental budget.
- An undergraduate degree in marketing, communications, journalism, digital media or related fields.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a communications role including four years hands-on experience working with digital communications including social media. Work experience in a research, academic or health care setting is an asset.
- Supervisory or management experience, including managing or supervising projects, team members, and external suppliers or contractors.
- OR Equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a demonstrated ability to write in a variety of styles for a range of audiences, and to translate complicated scientific concepts into lay language.
- Team player with ability to work in a collaborative manner with diverse groups.
- Experienced in building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders across various levels and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic and tactical communications plans.
- Demonstrated ability to provide total website management, including advanced editing skills using a content management system, content strategy, usability and information architecture skills and a search engine optimization and web analytics abilities.
- Solid understanding of HTML, content management systems (e.g. Drupal, WordPress or Joomla), knowledge of CSS, and Flash.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in social media, including best practices and tools.
- Knowledge of multimedia practices (online video, podcasts, animation, music, online forums, chat, etc.).
- Comprehensive computer literacy including demonstrated intermediate level skills with Microsoft Office programs.
- Detail-oriented and ability to identify priorities, complete multiple tasks and deliver results on deadline.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite especially with respect to developing web and online visuals an asset.
How to Apply
If this sounds like you and you would like to play a role in maximizing the impact of health research in BC, please submit your resume, cover letter and portfolio online at MSFHR Bamboo Application by March 3, 2019. We thank everyone for their interest but only suitable candidates will be contacted.