Applications are invited for the position of Manager of Communications for School District No. 73 (Kamloops/Thompson).
Kamloops/Thompson School District No. 73, located in British Columbia’s Southern Interior, operates in a region of about 103,000 people, with its head administrative office in downtown Kamloops.
School District No. 73 is a diverse and inclusive organization providing public education programs in the City of Kamloops, and the municipalities of Chase, Barriere, Logan Lake, and Clearwater as well as many smaller communities west to Savona, south to Westwold and north to Blue River. The District’s student population is approximately 15,100, including 427 continuing education and adult learners and over 1,200 students in French Immersion. The district employs more than 1,800 full and part time educators and support staff working collaboratively with external education partners.
The District recently completed a five-year strategic plan which identified an important new opportunity for a Manager of Communications to lead ongoing outreach to multiple stakeholders within the region to inform and engage on a range of education topics and issues.
As an experienced communications professional, you have a broad understanding of the role of communications in building and strengthening mutually beneficial relationships between an organization and its key stakeholders. You are experienced in proactively identifying opportunities, topics and issues that may impact the organization, and demonstrating how strategic communication can support organizational goals. As the Manager of Communications, you apply a consistent strategy across all communication platforms, channels and tools to maximize communication and outreach outcomes. Your understanding of both internal and external communications strategies ensures a consistent and effective approach to meeting key priorities, goals and budgets. You have played a valued role in change-management and are skilled in building consensus within multidisciplinary groups.
The successful applicant for this position will demonstrate:
- A university degree in journalism, public relations, communications or a related discipline is required.
- Minimum 5-10 years’ communication planning, consulting and project management experience is required.
- Experience managing a proactive media relations program and interacting with media as required.
- Effective verbal and written communication, interpersonal and computer skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of individuals and groups both within and outside the organization is required.
- Experience providing communications counsel and support to administration and executive teams, subject matter experts and other key staff as required.
Application Deadline: Friday, June 15, 2018 @ 12PM
Letters of application, complete with resume and the names of at least three references, must be submitted through the Make a Future website: www.makeafuture.ca/kamloops-thompson
Further information and the Job Description is available on the Employment section of the School District No. 73 website: sd73.bc.ca/careers
Mr. Shayne Olsen, Associate Superintendent – Human Resources
School District No. 73 (Kamloops/Thompson)
1383 – Ninth Avenue, Kamloops BC V2C 3X7