Job Title: Manager of Media Relations and Issues Management
Job Number: BCH-T-8918-190208E1
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top
Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
This role is the Manager of Media Relations and Issues Management. Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the position manage manages BC Hydro’s media relations and handling of issues that are critical to corporate reputation.
The successful candidate will:
- Be responsible for BC Hydro’s media relations – which means all interactions with the media including major TV, radio and print media around the province.
- Deliver media outreach strategies including writing communications plans, news releases, statements, pitching stories to media. Maintenance of strong working relationships with key media is essential.
- Act as corporate spokesperson representing BC Hydro in media interviews and as needed in promotional videos and advertisements.
- Deliver in-depth management of emerging issues requiring briefings, recommendations and strategic advice to executives and government.
- Manages issues and develops and executes on media strategies in conjunction with several other groups in Communications and other BC Hydro business groups
- Manage a team of media relations/communications staff.
- Participate in BC Hydro’s incident response efforts during storms and other high profile events such as emergencies, safety incidents and natural disasters.
The ideal candidate will have;
- A university degree in a related discipline such as: communications, marketing, journalism, political science, public relations
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant experience including comfort in a highly collaborative, deadlinedriven environment.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Experience leading teams or progressive leadership experience in a senior leadership role
- Some work on evenings and weekends will be required.
- This is a FTT 1-1.5 year temporary position.
- On camera testing may be required
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 7, 2019.