City of New Westminster
Manager, Public Engagement
DEPARTMENT: Office of the CAO
STATUS: Regular Full Time
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week*
SALARY: $97,735 – $107,754 annually plus benefits
Is public engagement something you are passionate about? Are you a highly professional, natural leader who thrives on collaboration and building strong relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and have experience working with Indigenous communities?
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, you will play a critical role in planning, developing, managing, and executing the City’s public engagement initiatives to maximize community and Indigenous participation and empower the community. Key responsibilities include:
• Integration of indigenous engagement and reconciliation processes into the City’s public engagement strategy.
• Outreach and collaboration with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders to advance the public engagement strategy and deliver engagement programs and initiatives.
• Development and oversight of public engagement policies and procedures and communication resources and assets to support public engagement activities.
• Management and delivery of the City’s public engagement activities and initiatives and associated stakeholder relations, facilitation, research, advertising, and marketing.
• Review and analysis of engagement activity participation, input and outcomes.
• Definition of roles, goals, and expectations of the public engagement function and development and training of city employees on public engagement methods and practices.
• Ongoing research and review of public engagement best practices, structures and processes.
• Management and direction of “Community Connector” engagement team.
If you are a highly motivated, self-starting individual, we want to meet you!
• You have a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Business, or a related discipline plus a minimum of seven years’ progressive managerial experience in public/community engagement, including those related to Indigenous communities and peoples, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
• You respect Indigenous cultures and protocols, and have an understanding of current and emerging issues of importance to Indigenous peoples and communities.
• You have sound knowledge of public communication and engagement processes and tools.
• You are proficient in the regulations, rules and policies governing the work.
• You are knowledgeable of municipal programs, activities, public engagement objectives, and practices.
• You are adept in marketing/promotion and usage of social media and engagement platforms.
• You have exemplary written and verbal communication skills.
• You have a talent for establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Indigenous communities, a variety of internal and external contacts, including business persons, municipal officials, other levels of government, and the general public.
• You have demonstrated strategic thinking ability in order to identify key issues and generate solutions.
• You have the ability to work a non-standard work week as operationally required.
*This position participates in a Compressed Work Week Program.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume quoting competition #19-69, by September 5, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.