The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR), funded by the province of British Columbia, is BC's health research funding agency. MSFHR helps develop, retain and recruit the talented people whose research improves the health of British Columbians, addresses health system priorities, creates jobs and adds to the knowledge economy.
Since its inception in 2001, MSFHR has been a key participant in BC's health research and life sciences ecosystem. The Foundation works as a trusted partner with government, the health research community and the health system to support better health outcomes through research and its translation into new treatments, cures, practices and solutions. Learn more at www.msfhr.org.
MSFHR is seeking a detail-oriented individual who will work alongside and support the Manager of Marketing & Communications for an 18 month maternity leave contract starting in May. The Marketing Communications & Design Coordinator will support the development and implementation of MSFHR’s strategic marketing and communications plans and related activities, including oversight of organizational branding and graphic standards. This role will also provide graphic design, writing and editing, event planning, distribution, and print production services for the Marketing & Communications team and the rest of the Foundation.
Branding & graphic design
- Maintain organizational style guide and provide editing, formatting and proofreading services for all MSFHR departments.
- Develop and maintain MSFHR graphic and brand standards and ensures their consistent application by internal and external stakeholders.
- Design marketing materials for print and online – including conceptualization, creation and execution.
- Support strong relationships with various vendors, including printers, manages relationship with vendors for coordination of content and materials, liaison with suppliers, and production.
- Administer an organizational sponsorship program including initial assessment of sponsorship requests; acting as primary contact for sponsors; ensuring delivery of agreed-upon benefits; and post-event documentation.
- Assist in the development of and implementation of internal communications strategies, including staff engagement activities.
- Manage MSFHR’s intranet and make recommendations as necessary to improve functionality. Write content in an appealing matter to engage staff. Serve as a resource to staff to help them maximize organizational collaboration tools.
- Monitor media for health research stories related to our awardees and industry; compile and summarize appropriate stories to share with staff (via intranet and weekly roundup emails) and on social media.
- Maintain MSFHR’s list of media contacts.
Communication planning & execution
- Participate in departmental strategic and project planning, working collaboratively with the rest of the Marketing & Communications team and other staff, as appropriate.
- Execute internal and external marketing & communications plans and projects including building and distributing the monthly newsletter; communicate with key internal and external stakeholders to fulfill these duties.
- Support event planning and administration including annual awardee recognition event.
- Manage and maintain email marketing system and associated distribution lists.
- Support the Manager, Marketing & Communications with digital communications including website content updates and monitoring and drafting content for social media channels.
- Monitor MSFHR general email account, respond to external inquiries by triaging request and directing to the appropriate internal resource.
- Support development and monitoring of relevant parts of departmental budget.
- Ensure ongoing work standards are met, particularly standards for discretion, judgment, accuracy and timeliness, and that reports and other regularly recurring tasks are completed effectively and on time.
- Ensure that the department’s service standards are met on a daily and weekly basis by setting priorities for own workload.
- A post-secondary degree or certificate in communications, marketing, public relations or related discipline.
- Minimum three to four years’ experience in a communications department setting. Work experience in a research, non-profit, health care or educational setting an asset.
- OR Equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills; strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of typography, layout, graphics and colour theory; ability to conceptualize, design and execute, with an impeccable eye for detail and accuracy.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (g. InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop).
- Knowledge of print production is an asset.
- Excellent computer skills including demonstrated intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint,), email marketing software and content management software.
- Ability to write in a variety of styles for a range of audiences and to translate complicated scientific concepts into lay language.
- Demonstrated ability to implement plans for communications projects, including publications and events.
- Ability to identify priorities, complete multiple tasks and deliver results on deadline without close supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with stressful, sensitive or difficult situations with tact and diplomacy, including ability to exercise judgment and discretion.
How to Apply
If this sounds like you and you would like to play a role in maximizing the impact of health research in BC, please submit your resume, cover letter and portfolio online at MSFHR Bamboo Application. We thank everyone for their interest but only suitable candidates will be contacted.