About The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC
The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC (“the Alliance”) is an industry-funded, confidential, not-for-profit society, established in 2007. Today, the Alliance serves close to 3000 manufacturer and food processor Member companies across British Columbia, employing a professional team of health & safety specialists to support safer workplaces.
The Alliance delivers a wide range of occupational health & safety advisory services, resources, and training. The Alliance is also an official Certifying Partner for the Occupational Safety Standard of Excellence (OSSE, also known as COR), tailored to the manufacturing sector.
The organization’s primary mission is to improve manufacturing workplace safety and to create a culture wherein every worker safely returns home to their family each night. Alliance employees are passionate about their work and how it impacts people’s lives each day.
The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC is presently seeking a dynamic and creative Marketing and PR Specialist with social media expertise, strong writing abilities, plus event organizing and strategic communications experience. The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing and/or Communications, with previous experience writing and/or editing for a technical periodical, including an online component. This is a full-time salaried position, based at the Manufacturing Safety Alliance offices in Chilliwack, BC, reporting to the Chief of Corporate Affairs.
As a key member of the Alliance’s Corporate Affairs team, the successful candidate will take a leading role in preparation of the Alliance’s quarterly Newsletter, with a demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information into compelling narratives. The position will also identify and participate in public/Member engagements, and prepare communications for external stakeholders.
The position will drive core messaging on Alliance social media, informing marketing strategies on Alliance printed collateral, such as brochures, course calendars, and pamphlets. Moreover, the position will participate in digital analysis and visual communication development.
The position will also drive and oversee organization of major Alliance events, leading colleagues from Services and Business Development to execute a high-profile Annual Conference, Annual Gala Award ceremony, and other events. The selected candidate will have demonstrated successful event planning and execution (including engagement with sponsors, advertisers, exhibitors, partners, Alliance Members and other not-for-profit organizations).
Key activities and responsibilities
- Develop a strong, dynamic and integrated narrative for the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC and identify and leverage opportunities to position the Organization’s voice and brand in the BC Manufacturing Industry
- Develop and lead the execution of communication strategies in support of health & safety priorities with guidance from the Chief of Corporate Affairs and, and input from the Chief Operating Officer and the Manager of Business Development
- Provide writing capacity at a corporate level and narrative level to support priority communications initiatives such as the quarterly Alliance Newsletter
- Develop informational, marketing, and promotional materials using a variety of media, including newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, publications, radio and television public service announcements, advertisements, pamphlets, photographs, articles, reports, charts, graphs, videos where required or in liaison with an external consultant
- Prepare the writing, editing, format, and production of materials used for member or potential members, public relations, marketing and promotion; reviews all external communications initiatives prior to CCA approval
- Fact-check and copy edit functions to produce high-quality, outward-facing content
- Establish and maintain active and strong working relationships with partners, organizations and individuals influencing the Alliance Members and event sponsors as needed
- Manage event logistics (including venue selection, organization of internal planning meetings, updates, personnel, event binders, sponsorship, entertainment, speakers, emcee) and budgets
- Working with the Chief of Corporate Affairs and the Business Development team, conduct post-event reviews
- Fulfill budget expectations for events under the guidance of the Chief of Corporate Affairs, with input from the Senior Finance and Administration Manager
- Work with the Chief of Corporate Affairs and the rest of the Marketing and Business Development teams to strategize, create, and execute media engagement plans
- Draft and publish media releases and support media relations strategies where required
- Provide monitoring, valuation, and reports on communication activities in collaboration with the Chief of Corporate Affairs with input from the Business Development team
- Create and deliver effective presentations and content for publications
- Plan and organize simple and complex events from conceptualization to execution in a team environment
Other duties include:
- Administrative tasks related to marketing and PR
- Represent the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC at outside events where required
The Right Fit
This position will suit a passionate communicator who values honesty and strong ethics. The successful candidate can build connections, produce content online, set the stage for interviews and edit print-ready publications. The successful candidate will also have demonstrated competency directing time-sensitive events.
Skills and Experience
- Advanced corporate and narrative writing abilities, including presentation skills
- Thorough understanding of marketing elements (including traditional and digital marketing such as SEO/Social media etc.) and market research methods
- Demonstrable experience in marketing data analytics and tools
- Solid computer skills, including MS Office, marketing software (Adobe Creative Suite & CRM) and applications (Web analytics, Google Adwords etc.)
- Knowledge of web development tools
- Well organized and detailed oriented with proven track record of managing a variety of tasks at the same time
- Exceptional oral communication and relationship-building skills
- At least 3 years’ experience in a marketing & PR role with written expertise included in the role , with demonstrated ability to manage technical content
- Experience leading and executing simple and complex events that include budget management
- Experience with media relations and media placement
- Proven ability to work within a collaborative team environment and manage consultants
- Ability to work with senior management and offices in different locations
- Understanding of modern and emerging channels viz. blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc. and ability to maintain and manage social media communication
- Experience communicating with all business levels, including executive management
- Experience working with media and drafting media releases and supporting process
- Effective project management skills. A PMP designation, although not a requirement, would be considered an asset
- An understanding of Occupational Health & Safety would be considered an asset
- Prior Media training would be considered an asset
- Valid driver’s license with a clean abstract and ability to travel within BC
- Appreciates multiple points-of-view
- Has the ability to think from the audience perspective, relate to needs and timelines of key contacts, and tailor messages to each audience
- Collaborative – pro-actively contributes ideas, seeks input, shares information, checks the work of others, and ensures pathways to the swift creation and delivery of messages
- A positive thinker motivated to achieve high standards according to strong codes of ethics
- Exceptionally well-organized and accustomed to pressure to meet strict deadlines
- A strong communicator (oral and written)
- A powerful negotiator
- Post-secondary degree in the areas of Marketing or Communications/Journalism.
- The opportunity to contribute to saving lives and reducing permanent injuries to others in your neighbourhood, community, region and province;
- A passionate, mission focused, high-calibre, well-educated Safety Advisor team;
- Marketing & Business Development teams that are dynamic, imaginative and creative;
- The latitude and support from senior management to execute on brilliant, creative ideas;
- A competitive remuneration package with extended health and dental benefits;
- RRSP option on completion of probationary period;
- Fitness benefit reimbursement to assist in maintaining a healthy lifestyle;
- Business mileage allowance;
- Positive workplace culture and support for work-life balance;
- Professional learning and development opportunities.
The successful individual will share a passion for success. The work at the Alliance has a direct influence on the safety and the lives of thousands across British Columbia. An energized, ethical individual who thrives in a fast-paced, high-pressure, results-oriented environment will find the position of Marketing, Communications & Events Specialist position exciting and challenging.
If you are driven by the mindset of making the impossible…possible, and aspire to belong to a dynamic, values-driven organization, kindly forward your resume to email@example.com