Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a mid-level communications professional who is looking to grow their career with our company. The successful candidate will play a key role in establishing and enhancing corporate identity, including managing media relations and the company’s evolving social media presence. Collaborating with the Senior Director, Corporate Affairs, he/she crafts messages and materials used to support Zymeworks’ strategic and business positions. Over time, the individual will develop an in-depth understanding of the company, its mission and technology/drug candidate positioning, and be required to successfully network internally with various functional groups and externally with collaborators and vendors.
This position will report to the Senior Director, Corporate Affairs and will be based in either Vancouver BC or Seattle, WA.
- Collaborates closely with leadership to create and implement effective communication strategies and programs designed to elevate the company’s strategic and business positions and advance corporate brand awareness.
- Leads, drafts and delivers all internal and external communications for the company including key messages, press releases, Q&As, corporate and technology backgrounders, etc., using a variety of methods, channels and technologies consistent with best-in-class practices and Zymeworks’ culture.
- In collaboration with the Corporate Affaires team, identifies corporate inflection points and drafts communications plan to leverage such events demonstrating company progress to publicly stated goals.
- Partners with CEO to develop high-impact CEO communications, town hall content and other communication initiatives.
- Provides support and coaching to business leaders on their communication strategies and content based on developed understanding and knowledge of the company’s business operations and culture.
- Identifies and coordinates opportunities for increased executive visibility (such as panel participation and presentations, i.e., BIO).
- Oversees media relations function; develops and implements outreach initiatives to generate media attention for the company and its executives; and assists in the creation of feedback mechanisms and key metrics regarding communication consumption and effectiveness for future improvements.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with national, industry, and local reporters to continue building the brand and credibility of the organization.
- Ensures all corporate spokespeople are media trained and creates media interview briefing documents as required.
- Drafts strategy, including analytics to identify key influencers related to technology and diseases.
- Creates and maintains corporate website, Wikipedia page, and other online content (as appropriate).
- Assumes primary responsibility for corporate web site and social media accounts/presence.
- Assists with establishing department goals, plans, processes and budgets.
- Participates in and supports projects, as required, to support corporate and departmental goals.
Qualifications and Experience
- BA with an emphasis in communications and a minimum of 8 years’ related experience in publicly-traded companies within the biotechnology sector or at a public relations firm with biotechnology pharmaceutical clients or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Science background considered a plus.
- Ability to lead through example and to establish an environment fostering effective and collaborative working relationships
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry, with an understanding of FDA and SEC regulations impacting communications
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external contacts at all levels
- Proficient writer and editor
- Demonstrated media skills and contacts; good presentation and messaging competencies
- Extensive understanding of social media platforms
- Ability to identify and handle confidential materials/information appropriately
- Demonstrated maturity in judgment
- Must be flexible, able to manage multiple tasks, and have exceptional attention to detail
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please apply online at https://zymeworks.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/view.php?id=151. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.