BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Career Opportunity: Strategic Communications Advisor (Replacement Term)
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port of Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 360 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. We lead the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $184 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
The Strategic Communications Advisor is responsible for researching, drafting and finalizing speeches and presentations for the port authority's executive team, as well as briefing notes, reports and other corporate materials under the direction of the Manager, Strategic Communications. The advisor recommends strategic measures to enhance clarity and reach of relevant information, as applicable, and creates content to support business objectives and increase awareness of the organization's goals and initiatives as well as the importance of the Port of Vancouver to national trade.
This role will:
• Review speaking requests from external groups and recommend whether or not the opportunities are relevant and strategic for the organization and suitable for members of the port authority’s executive leadership team.
• Manage the executive speaking request calendar to ensure executive availability and confirm materials needed.
• Prepare speaking notes and presentations for members of the port authority’s executive leadership team to deliver at strategic external events to enhance the reputation of the organization and to continue to build external audiences’ understanding of and support for port operations and developments.
• Through the use of anecdotes, create a compilation of personal stories relevant to each executive leadership team member for use in external or internal speaking engagements.
• Maintain a high level of awareness of the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority’s mission, vision, values, business plan and strategic initiatives to ensure timely awareness of issues.
• Create strategic content to support business objective and increase awareness of the organization’s goals and initiatives.
• Research, draft and finalize high quality and strategic corporate materials including, but not limited to:
o Briefing notes
o Topics of interest
o Web copy
o Q/A documents
• Work with other departments and subject matter experts to ensure information is up-to-date and presented in clear, relatable language.
• Ensure consistency of messaging in all communications materials and provide recommendations on how to cross-promote content strategically.
The successful candidate will possess a university degree in communications, journalism, political science or another acceptable degree, along with a minimum 4 years of experience of senior strategic communications writing, including speech writing for executives, in a public relations agency or corporate environment. Must have excellent editing skills, with knowledge of Canadian Press standards. Must have proficiency in MS Office. Experience working with senior management is required.
This position is ideal for a self-motivated individual with an excellent command of the English language and effective writing, editing and story-telling skills with an ability to synthesize complex information from diverse sources into simplified language for a range of audiences. This person will have strong critical thinking, problem-solving and time-management skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment. Must be a team player who demonstrates professionalism and tact and can liaise effectively with members of the executive leadership team as well as with colleagues in departments across the organization.
This position is required to access restricted areas/information. The incumbent must obtain and maintain a valid Marine Transportation Security Clearance as defined by the Marine Transportation Security Regulations.
Port of Vancouver offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line by visiting http://www.portvancouver.com/careers/
(Please note this posting will remain open until filled.)
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.