- a confident marketing communications professional with proven effectiveness in a fastpaced, multi-stakeholder and evolving environment?
- experienced in designing and executing communications and marketing plans to effectively promote technical products or services?
- a skilled and versatile writer, able to translate complex material into compelling stories for a range of target audiences, across a variety of mediums?
- a team player and proven leader of interdisciplinary teams with a proven ability to foster an organizational culture of collaboration, learning and innovation?
The Health Data Coalition is seeking qualified candidates for the new position of Communications Manager. If you thrive in an entrepreneurial context while applying your expertise in creating and executing marketing plans, and enjoy collaboratively designing communications products in a distributed team environment, please explore this opportunity.
This position will play a key role in promoting the enrollment of physicians as data contributors to the Health Data Coalition network. By ensuring the Health Data Coalition is communicating effectively through the right mediums, with the right messages, and in a timely way with target audiences, the Communications Manager will increase brand awareness, support use of the tool in partner networks, and help expand the HDC contributor base. A key deliverable for this role will be initiating new communications channels for the organization across Health Authorities and Divisions.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Enrollment Manager and Medical Directors, the Communications Manager provides leadership in ensuring the communications needs of the HDC are met. The Communications Manager is responsible for developing marketing plans and communications materials to reach target audiences, including physicians, partner organizations, journalists, stakeholders, vendors and the community. The Communications Manager consults proactively and broadly with colleagues on the Operational Team and with members of the Board of Directors to propose, define, plan and execute communication opportunities.
Through their own hands-on design and formatting of materials, managing contractors, and fostering communication channels, the Communications Manager will produce a wide range of products and corporate communication material, get this material in front of our stakeholders, and track effectiveness in achieving our goals.
About the Health Data Coalition
The Health Data Coalition (HDC) is a physician-led data sharing initiative funded by the General Practice Services Committee (GPSC). HDC was founded as an amalgamation of the knowledge, assets, and experiences gained within the Physicians Data Collaborative (PDC) and AMCARE. It was established as a federal not for profit organization in April 2016 and after the successful launch of its new platform, is currently focused on expanding its vendor and contributor base.
The HDC supports a learning health system and is designed to aggregate patient level data from individual physician practices, across disparate EMRs, and use it as a feedback mechanism to support self-reflective practice for the individual physician member, as well as evaluation of PSP learning modules, small group peer learning, Division-led and provincial projects and BC Ministry of Health system planning and population metrics.
We offer a flexible, accessible and secure platform that provides HDC users access to a robust source of medical care data, while protecting provider and patient identity, and ensuring that physicians control the data sharing. More than a technical platform, the HDC is about and built on relationships. Our growing team seeks to embody the values of service, learning, accountability and innovation. Learn more about us at www.hdcbc.ca.
Salary range $89,000-$95,000., commensurate with experience
One year initial employment contract, renewable
Based in Victoria or Vancouver BC to support training and meeting requirements
Preference for virtual/work from home arrangement
Occasional travel required
How to apply
With your cover letter and resume, please demonstrate your understanding of this position and how you meet the experience and competencies requested.
Please send your cover letter and resume by noon on April 20, 2017 to: Kate Fagan Taylor, Executive Director, Health Data Coalition Kate.email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. Short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited to submit a sample of a communications work product. After review of these materials, an invitation to a panel interview will be offered to selected candidates.
Please ensure your application clearly demonstrates the ways in which you possess the following:
Education and Experience
- University degree with a focus on writing and communications, or equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum of five years’ management level experience in communications.
- Proven success developing successful community engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Experience leading communications in a member-based organization or public sector organization would be an asset.
- Background working with physicians, healthcare organizations, or technology organization marketing would be an asset.
Knowledge and experience required:
- Demonstrated ability to lead communications and marketing planning.
- Proven ability to develop and execute all aspects of a communications or marketing plan.
- Ability to develop content for web, social media, corporate publications, and media releases to support marketing strategies.
- Proven ability to lead an interdepartmental team in the planning and collaborative development of communications materials, and to support team learning to increase their understanding of communications and marketing processes.
- Expertise guiding team collaboration using tools such as Asana, Jira, Wrike or Trello.
- Experience procuring and directing contractors in website, graphics and video development.
Technical Skills required:
- Outstanding writing, layout and editing skills, and ability to develop graphics, attractive report formats and other corporate publications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Publisher, Adobe Suite, Microsoft Project, Dropbox and SharePoint, and designing and presenting with tools such as PowerPoint or Prezi.
- Use of CRM, social media, and email campaign tools (MailChimp or similar).
- Marketing Communications: you can use a broad range of communication styles, and choose appropriate, effective ways to communicate to audiences in diverse situations. You can write compelling content in a variety of styles to reach distinct audiences and objectives.
- Teamwork: you have shown leadership in helping to form a respectful team culture, and get results in a consultative, collaborative manner with others to achieve collective goals.
- Commitment to quality: you take pride in your work and strive for excellence to achieve the best possible results; you are proactive to ensuring clarity in direction and inviting feedback, and persistent in engagement to confirm that the product meets expectations.
- Research and analysis: you find and use information from a variety of sources—including personal experience and your own observations—to identify options and solve problems.
- Project and task management: You plan, implement, manage and measure projects and tasks in a timely and directed manner, taking direction receptively, and adapting calmly to changing situations.
- Managing information: you’re able to think critically and gather, sort, store and use information to turn data into knowledge that can be shared with others to support decision making and communications.
- Change management: You meet ambiguity with calmness, and respond by being innovative and solutions-focused. You’re able to propose and guide the adoption of new tools and processes and patiently guide a cross-functional team in communications planning, from inception to execution.
The Communications Manager is responsible for developing marketing plans and communications materials for communication with target audiences, including physicians, partner organizations, journalists, stakeholders, vendors and the community.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Manager provides leadership in ensuring the communications needs of the HDC are met by initiating plans, consulting with colleagues on the Operational Team regarding communication opportunities, planning work to meet organizational priorities, producing corporate communications and marketing materials and managing contractors.
The Communications Manager will draft corporate communications strategy and marketing plans, confirm timelines, draft materials and work collaboratively, liaising both within the team and with partner organizations to create opportunities to communicate purposefully with partners and stakeholders. The corporate communications strategy and marketing plan will plan and track deliverables such as stakeholder reporting, engagement materials and resources, web site and social media content, videos and presentations. The Communication Manager also leads the development of strategic communications plans for specific campaigns to advance objectives of the Health Data Coalition, utilizing the knowledge of the team and the HDC Board’s professional connections and coordinated with allies in the broader community. To develop communication plans, the Communications Manager will confirm objectives with the Executive Director and Operational Team, assess communications and reporting opportunities, and research the understanding and perceptions of target audiences, monitor forums, social media sites, partner sites and the press to assess attitudes about HDC and incorporate the findings to ensure the plan stays current and can dynamically evolve. The Communications Manager will also lead the planning of events related to announcements, working closely with partner organizations.
Engagement advice and support
The Communication Manager will consult with the Executive Director and Operational Team to prepare recommendations for resources, tools and materials to support engagement. They may set up media interviews with board members or encourage and help prepare executives to comment on issues in the press. They also prepare presentations and papers for members of the team who are speaking at conferences or demonstrating the tool. They draft key messages and speaking points for distinct audiences, and assess/advise on the relative impact of communications initiatives.
Publications and marketing
Writing marketing resource material to attract and support new HDC contributors is an important part of the Communications Manager’s duties. They are the brand champion, supporting the alignment of communications with the strategic plan, developing content and writing copy for marketing publications such as product brochures, sales leaflets, corporate brochures, annual reports for shareholders, newsletters and customer magazines. In consultation with the Operational Team, they will conduct interviews and write case studies and product guides. They will ensure an active social media presence; direct website development and write content for website pages; write scripts and oversee production of presentations and videos. To gather information, they work closely with colleagues, and will manage contracts with graphic designers and website developers. A sense of ownership and high standards for the finished product will be essential.
Strategic liaison and relationship development
The Communications Manager will be confident and proactive in liaising to establish relationships with partner organizations, networking with their communications teams to share intelligence, find communication opportunities, and ensure integration of messaging as appropriate. They will also confer with external partners to propose co-sponsored campaigns, and ensure alignment of messaging in media events. They will be fluent in emerging marketing and communication trends and aware of opportunities to leverage those that are appropriate for the HDC brand and target communities.
The Communications Manager will support the Executive Director in building a culture of consultative, respectful team communications. They will propose, develop and support internal organizational tools to efficiently manage a high degree of collaboration within a distributed team, and assist team members with learning the use of these software tools. The Communications Manager leads the implementation of collaboration tools for the operational team, working groups, and board committees. Coaching and assisting team and board members to support their use of tools and communications technology, the Communications Manager will set a positive, collaborative and solutions-focused tone and support the culture of the HDC as a learning organization.