Back to Blogs
Posted: January 21, 2017
Your future team
- E-Comm’s vision is to help create safer communities in British Columbia through excellence in public safety communication. By joining our team you’ll have a chance to be part of that vision and contribute to the safety of British Columbians. Our team is proud of the work we produce in support of colleagues, the public and first-responders across B.C. as it provides us with a strong sense of purpose.
- The Communications Advisor role is a unique opportunity to work in an exciting, ever-changing and fast-paced environment that will allow you to work in a “hands on” capacity on a wide-range of public safety and communication initiatives. You will be responsible for writing and producing a variety of internal and external communications to keep staff and key stakeholders updated on E-Comm initiatives. We support continual learning and make every effort to provide development opportunities.
- The perfect fit for us is someone who loves to make a difference as much as we do and is looking to be part of a small and fun team. We have lots of energy, want to put out the best work possible and support each other as we meet our deliverables. We thrive on rising to the occasion in an environment where the demand for our support is high and our work is valued. Our team enjoys brainstorming creative new ideas and working together collaboratively.
Your future projects
- Communication support for rollout of replacement radio system used by first responders across Metro Vancouver and Abbotsford. This is the largest and most complex technology project E-Comm has embarked upon since the establishment of the first radio system back in 1999.
- Provide communication advice and editorial services to all departments across the organization and to develop communication strategy and materials that resonate with staff and contribute to positive relationships among our employees.
- Internal and external communication support for 9-1-1 and other service expansion.
- Redesign of E-Comm’s corporate website for improved design and functionality.
- Development and execution of enhanced digital media strategy.
- Execution of public education/media campaigns in support of important public safety messages related to the proper use of the 9-1-1 system.
- Communication support for evolution of Next Generation 9-1-1.
- Coordination of E-Comm’s Annual General Meeting including development of the board chair’s presentation to stakeholders and employees.
- The minimum residency in Canada to qualify for this position, as established by our law enforcement partner agencies, is five  years.
- To qualify for this process, a candidate may either be a Canadian Permanent Resident [PR] or Canadian Citizens.
- We regret any candidates under Student, Visitor, or Work Visas are not eligible for consideration.
Must have requirements
- Exceptional written communication skills, editing skills, and capacity to tailor information for various internal and external audiences.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to distil complex technical and operational issues into plain language.
- Skill in the use of software applications used in the work such as InDesign, Photoshop and Contribute.
- Ability to work independently, within tight deadlines and with close attention to detail.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and good relationship-building skills.
- Experience with managing high-profile reputational, service, and stakeholder-related issues.
- Corporate media relations experience supporting senior executives, spokespeople, and key stakeholders.
- Experience working within a complex corporate or municipal/provincial government environment.
- More than five years direct communications experience in preparing major communication plans, writing, and social media in a senior or specialist role.
Nice to have requirements
- Photojournalism and/or corporate photography experience
- Previous experience in planning and coordinating a variety of events, including corporate and community events
- Public speaking
- Experience with social media monitoring/analytics and developing strategies to identify, plan and execute social media goals
- Knowledge of HTML
- Bilingual [French or Cantonese in addition to English]
- Experience with SharePoint and WordPress
- 3301 E. Pender Street, Vancouver, BC V5K 5J3
- This is a Regular Full-Time position
Number of positions
- ~ Monday 06 March 2017 (or earlier depending on candidate availability and security clearance process)
Direct application instructions