|Job Title:||Communications Coordinator|
|Work Site:||Corporate Communications Office – West 6th Avenue|
|Status:||Regular Full Time|
If you can find stories and tell them with compelling words and pictures, Vancouver Coastal Health’s Communications & Public Affairs team needs you!
We are looking for an enthusiastic entry level communicator with one to three years’ experience to join our department as a Communications Coordinator. You possess outstanding original writing and journalistic skills, and you know how to quickly edit copy to make it appropriate for a newsletter, website, blog, executive memo or a tweet. You also take great pictures and know how to shoot and edit short videos.
The Communications Coordinator will report up to the Manager, Corporate Communications, but on a daily basis will work closely with virtually all team members, taking direction on story ideas, editing and producing various internal and external communication materials, contributing to communication plans, helping execute internal events, applying our editorial and graphic standards to ensure consistency, creating and managing content on our website and social media channels, helping manage our media clippings, and proactively suggesting new ways to get the word out to clients, staff, physicians and media, about the great work happening in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Our ideal candidate is someone who thrives on continuously improving digital content and channels by monitoring trends and tracking outcomes, with an attention to detail that produces professional results.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Acting as editor of a weekly e-newsletter for staff, including writing/editing content and distribution, and contributing to content calendar for all internal and external digital platforms in collaboration with broader Communications and Public Affairs team.
- Editing and producing diverse communications materials, for both internal and external use, in collaboration with other Corporate Communication team members and in keeping with supplied corporate editorial standards.
- Assisting the VCH Communications and Public Affairs team with execution of strategic communications plans for the organizations’ programs and corporate functions.
- Working with the Corporate Communications Manager to plan and execute corporate events, including leadership forums and employee recognition programs.
- Participating on committees and in interdepartmental meetings to provide support and contribute to strategic communications planning or implementation.
- Seeking out opportunities to promote good news and help maintain organizational reputation online by working with Communications & Public Affairs department team members to create and/or re-purpose content for websites and social media networks.
- Providing support for the maintenance and organization of various digital tools such as our news site, flagship website VCH.ca, intranet and blog.
- Exhibiting a sense of urgency, diplomacy and timeliness in the content generation requests from staff, physicians, public, media and other stakeholders.
- Identifying opportunities for economies of scale, standardization efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Expertise:
- Completion of a university degree in a related field such as communications, journalism or marketing/advertising, plus one (1) to three (3) years’ experience in organizational communications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills are essential, with exemplary attention to detail.
- Expertise in information architecture, content management, video editing and graphic design would be assets.
- Advanced computer skills in organizational electronic communication technology, publishing and web-based communications.
- Demonstrated expertise with content management systems, including WordPress and Microsoft SharePoint, familiarity with Hootsuite for managing social media networks, and working knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing tools, including Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro.
- Skillfully prepares written communications content and materials utilizing knowledge of applicable computer applications.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and teams in a wide variety of settings across the organization, applying interpersonal skills and taking a problem-solving approach.
- Knowledge of technical issues relating to printing and production of materials.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy and to act with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour.
- Good organizational, project management and time management skills including the ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- A results oriented and enthusiastic team player who thrives on new challenges.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Qualified applicants only please submit a resume and covering letter quoting competition # 091676-ale.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Internal competition closes February 23, 2017. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.