Permanent Full-Time Position
Monday to Friday / 8:30am to 4:30pm
Pay Grade M ($59,444 to $63,641 per annum)
Applications are invited for a Communications & Marketing Officer to be responsible for developing communications plans, marketing approaches, concepts, and strategies in alignment with the University’s overall communications and marketing direction. The Communications + Marketing Officer will research, write, and edit materials for internal and external publications, including news releases, feature articles, brochures, advertising, and other promotional materials, as well as writing, posting, and maintaining web site and intranet content to ensure information is accurate, timely, and aligns with the Emily Carr brand. The role will also produce regular and on-demand metric reports. Applicants will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or related field.
- Minimum five years’ communications experience in a post-secondary setting. Or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Proven experience in social media, editing publications, and writing projects for a large public sector organization.
- Demonstrated experience and superior ability in writing high-quality copy for advertising, marketing and public
- Demonstrated successful experience of paid and earned media, including print, broadcast and online/social
- Relevant experience creating communication plans, developing key messages, and successfully managing projects
for print/online publications.
- Successful track record in meeting budget, production and outcomes targets, working with tight deadlines and
- Knowledge of current marketing, communications and public relations principles, practices and techniques.
- Advanced knowledge in the use of computer software applications including MS Office Suite. Skilled in a wide range of design, graphics, imaging and multimedia software including Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage several time-sensitive
projects at any given time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, faculty and external partners.
- Ability to handle potentially difficult situations with tact and diplomacy. Ability to function professionally and pleasantly during periods of high stress.
Some typical duties:
- Develops clear, compelling, and effective marketing and communications strategies for all Emily Carr University channels to engage key target audiences.
- Identifies, researches, and writes compelling content including news items, stories, events, and information to Emily Carr’s websites and intranet.
- Monitors Emily Carr’s web sites, and social media channels and responds to relevant inquiries. Writes, edits, and/or curates content daily.
- Implements and manages communications projects in collaboration with other University departments. Advises and assists staff responsible for University events and activities. Schedules production and resources, creates and edits communication, and organizes distribution.
- Develops strong working partnerships with key stakeholders of the University, and subject matter experts.
- Utilizing analytic tools regularly evaluates the success and effectiveness of Emily Carr’s online and offline
initiatives and adjusts tactics accordingly.
- Coordinates the purchase of media forums, determines appropriate ad placement, and maintains record of all
projects and payment details. Drafts and monitors budget, advising on options for cost-effective execution.
Negotiates best prices and preferred vendor agreements.
- Assists Staff, Faculty, and Senior Administration on various marketing or public relations projects, including
convocation, special events, event marketing, and multimedia productions.
- Researches and writes opinion pieces and messages on behalf of senior executives. Prepares speaking notes for
the President + Vice Chancellor for regular and special events.
- Stays current on the latest trends in media, social media, and digital communications and recommends new tools
- Recruits, hires, and directs contract writers and strategists as needed.
Please send a cover letter and resume (quoting competition #S030-2016) by 4:00pm, Tuesday, 3 January 2017 to: Human Resources, Emily Carr University, 1399 Johnston Street, Vancouver BC V6H 3R9, Fax: (604) 844-3885 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org