About The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB)
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is a non-profit organization with a mission to create empowering environments that provide and promote access to healthy food, education and training. The GVFB provides assistance to over 26,500 people weekly through 13 food locations and close to 100 community agencies located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and the North Shore. The GVFB is committed to its vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all
and through community collaboration, is pro-actively working to help end hunger. The GVFB is committed to its vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all and through community collaboration, is pro-actively working to help end hunger. For more information, please visit www.foodbank.bc.ca.
TITLE: Communications Officer (regular, full-time, salaried position) REPORTS TO: Communications Director
You love working in a varied, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with multiple projects on the go. You are results oriented – that is your top attribute. You want to be “in the game” as a high performer who is willing to put in whatever time and effort it takes to exceed all expectations.
If this sounds like you then read on.
- The ideal candidate is a communications generalist with a proven track record of providing effective communications support and organizing communications campaigns to both internal and external clients.
- Too busy is not in your vocabulary: You are highly organized, an effective multi-tasker, driven to succeed, a go-getter with the ability to work with minimum supervision, and focused on delivering excellent results on deadline. You do what it takes to succeed without watching the clock.
- You are self-disciplined and able to demonstrate excellent time management skills in order to balance multiple projects and assignments. You are willing to probe and ask questions in order to deliver the best possible communications result.
- You are a fast learner, who is able to prioritize easily once understanding the communications need. You will be adept at creating and reviewing content, give communications advice to clients, build relationships both internally and externally, and achieve success through measured results.
- You have demonstrated knowledge of databases and content management systems. You are willing to jump in and become the master of various communications systems including but not limited to WordPress, hootsuite, facebook, twitter and the intranet, and other digital entities.
- You have a positive approach to change and the ability to authentically engage others. You are a team player who accepts direction, initiates and then actions with minimum need for direction.
- Ultimately, as a results-oriented communications professional, you have a willingness to contribute and passion for making a difference in the community.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Communications Officer provides strategic and tactical support for the Greater Vancouver Food Bank’s communications and marketing activities, with an emphasis on developing and maintaining GVFB digital properties, including the website, online channels and social media accounts. The CO recommends changes and improvements as appropriate. The CO also provides strategic and tactical communications support such as writing, media relations, communications campaigns and collateral materials to specific departments or projects for the GVFB, and participates in the planning and execution of the Communications annual work plan. The CO supports development and monitoring of relevant parts of department budget. The CO will also deliver any other such work duty as requested by the Communications Director.
Specifically, the Communications Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Work with GVFB staff to develop a wide range of communications materials including communication plans and campaigns, web copy, social media and other digital content, marketing materials, presentations and reports.
- Deliver internal and external communications projects as assigned to further the organization’s strategic goals.
- Develop communications plans for internal and external projects and activities as required, working collaboratively with other staff for input as appropriate.
- Maintain, update and develop as needed all internal and external communications channels.
- Develop a communications work plan for the year, in support of the communications strategy.
- Build relationships and work with internal departments to provide communications support and/or advice.
- Take ownership to create, develop and deliver key communications projects and campaigns.
- Develop service standards, and create process plans and How-Tos to support communications needs.
- Provide communications feedback to the organization using analytics and monitoring data.
- Through collaboration and information sharing, ensure consistent tone/voice/brand across all internal and external communications channels, and ensure effectiveness of message.
- Coordinate and manage external supplier relationships as it relates to the communications function.
- Ensure ongoing work standards are met, particularly standards for discretion, judgment, accuracy and timeliness, and ensure that service standards are met on a daily and weekly basis by setting priorities for own workload.
- Enhance the organization’s presence through an online digital and social media strategy.
- Provide strategic direction and recommendations related to GVFB digital channels including environmental scanning, maintenance and ongoing updates, evaluation and analytics.
- Review analytics and other measurement, and improves search engine optimization as appropriate.
- Is the gatekeeper of web and social media content to ensure consistency in voice, messaging and tone.
- Experienced with WordPress, hootsuite, google analytics, facebook, facebook live, twitter, Instagram, YouTube and other digital media channels.
- Using various channels, you will create, write, coordinate and monitor digital content in the form of web content, blog posts, photographs, social media posts and shares, and online discussions/conversations.
- Maintain all functions of the GVFB website (WordPress platform) including producing content, formatting and updating site.
- Recommend, develop and implement web strategies for GVFB departments and events.
- Develop and maintain promotional email taglines and website promotional content.
- Act as a liaison between the organization and the media, processing and facilitating media interviews.
- Deliver and support proactive and reactive media stories.
- Pitch stories to media as required, follow up on news releases and publicity plans.
- Support key spokespeople to ensure they are prepared.
- Deliver background information and briefings to media as needed.
- Speak on behalf of the organization to media when required.
- Write and deliver media releases, fact sheets, backgrounders, Q+As etc as needed.
- Categorize and maintain consent forms.
- Use media monitoring tools to collect and share news articles.
- Categorize and maintain the organization’s digital photography collection.
- Take photographs as required.
- Work with professional photographers on key communications projects.
- Responsible for copywriting/story writing, proofreading and editing of all communications materials.
- Write content for all appropriate communications channels and needs, including the annual Community Report and the website.
- Work with professional service providers including designers, photographers and print shops.
- Maintain and ensure appropriate use of the organization’s brand.
- Draft, seek sign off and maintain communications collateral as necessary to support the organization, partner events, campaigns and ad hoc opportunities.
- Draft and maintain key organizational fact sheets, backgrounders, PPTs etc as required.
- Results oriented.
- Strives to exceed all expectations.
- High performer able to multi-task and work in a high performance, high demand environment.
- Good listener, accepts direction, initiates and actions.
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Willing to work the hours it takes to meet deadlines.
- Able to set daily and weekly priorities for own workload.
- Demonstrated experience in a public relations or communications role.
- Excellent verbal, written, editing and organizational skills, as well as excellent communication skills that are consistent across all mediums (online, in print and in person).
- Demonstrated ability to write in a variety of styles for a range of audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge of communications best practices and experience working with the media.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in social media including best practices and tools.
- Knowledge of multimedia practices (online video, podcasts, online forums, blogs, chat etc).
- Demonstrated ability to provide total website management including advanced editing skills using a content management system, content strategy, usability and information architecture skills, SEO and web analytics.
- Proficiency in social media platforms including Facebook, twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn and tools such as hootsuite, iconosquare and trendspottr.
- An eye for and working knowledge of photography, copy editing, web and graphic design platforms.
- Experience with Windows and Mac OS based software including: MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Drupal, WordPress CMS and CRM systems.
- Driver’s license considered an asset
- Consistency and outstanding attention to detail.
- Able to identify priorities, complete multiple tasks and deliver results on deadline.
- Ability and willingness to work to deadlines and work evenings and weekends as required.
- Ability to work with and supervise volunteers.
- A willingness to be photographed and promoted on GVFB entities.
- Experience within a not-for-profit environment an asset.
- Relevant post-secondary degree or diploma with demonstrated experience.
- May be required to sit or stand as needed.
- May encompass walking and climbing stairs during the day.
- Reaching above shoulder heights or below the waist.
- As part of job duties you may be asked to help lift up to 40 lbs.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Support for work-life balance through flexible hours.
- Earned paid vacation, stats and additional time off.
- Excellent employer paid health and dental package.
- Working for an organization that has high community profile.
- Challenging and rewarding work. You won’t be bored!
- Ability to make a difference.
If you feel this position is the right fit for you, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter to Ariela Friedmann, Communications Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 10, 2017 the latest.
We thank all interested applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.