Geoscience BC was established in 2005 as an independent, non-profit organization that supports investment in British Columbia’s mineral and energy sectors. We have the unique ability to work in close cooperation with First Nations, local communities, governments, academia and resource sectors, providing credible, independent public earth science that enables sound resource management decisions and supports a healthy economy.
This is your chance to be part of a high-performing team focused on providing credible earth science that promotes and supports investment opportunities and enables sound resource management decisions in BC. Our offices are based in downtown Vancouver, close to multiple transit options.
The Communications & Outreach Manager is a full-time position reporting to and working closely with the Director, External Relations. The role is responsible for further raising the profile of our organization by managing our external communications activities (70%), and supporting our outreach efforts as it relates to First Nations, local communities, governments and the resource sector (30%). This is a wonderful opportunity for someone with a passion for communications to take the next step in his or her career by becoming a strategic partner on our small and passionate team. Our compensation package includes a merit-based bonus plan, extended health and dental coverage, and other meaningful benefits.
The ideal candidate will be looking for a hands-on position where he/she will be as comfortable working in cocktail party attire as in blue jeans.
- Day-to-day management and significant involvement in direction of brand and website development with support from contractors.
- Develop and implement communications plan, with support from the Director, External Affairs.
- Develop and implement targeted marketing and communications strategies.
- Oversee marketing and communications support for Geoscience BC’s earth science projects, turning technical data into engaging materials.
- Provide communications support to our network of partners amongst First Nations, communities, government, academia and the resource sector.
- Write, edit and manage the production of digital and print materials, using design and print contractors. This includes the Geoscience BC Annual Report.
- Build and manage measured social media programs, including identifying appropriate platforms.
- Provides brand leadership to ensure brand behaviour, graphic standards and messaging are used consistently.
- Media relations and thought leadership to build and maintain Geoscience BC’s reputation. Assist in the organization’s practical engagement with First Nations, local communities, governments, resource sectors and others. This includes building and maintaining a network or relevant contacts, organizing, and participating in, Geoscience BC events and attending external conferences and events.
- Personable, professional, warm and a friendly self-starter, who is well-organized and who thrives on working in a small team of professionals. You can successfully handle multiple deadlines and requests.
- A post-secondary qualification and/or the equivalent training in communications.
- At least three years’ experience in the planning and implementation of successful external communications initiatives. This includes the use of print, web and social media, writing media releases and handling media relations, as well as the organization of events.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to make technical data engaging for a wide audience.
- Confident presenter and networker with practical experience of working with First Nations, community, government and resource industry representatives.
- Experience working in a Windows-based environment. Proficient in using social media management tools and Microsoft Office suite. Experience using Adobe CreativeSuite is an advantage but not a requirement.
- Willing to potentially travel up to 30% of the time at certain times of the year and can work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Experience working with a non-profit organization and in the resource sector is an asset.
If this sounds like you, please send your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants who apply, but advise that only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.