The Real Estate Council of BC is hiring a Communications Specialist – Content Development: a highly-skilled communicator who thrives on taking complex material and making it meaningful, relevant, understandable and engaging.
As a Communications Specialist you will be responsible for developing compelling narratives in all forms of print and digital communications, for industry and consumer audiences. If you are a thinker, an innovator, and – most of all – a storyteller with the skills and experience to create meaningful connections and engage readers and viewers, this may be the opportunity you have been looking for.
You are an enthusiastic professional who thrives working independently. Your creativity combined with strong writing skills helps you craft engaging messages that make challenging concepts not only understandable but enjoyable – all within tight timelines. You are extremely organized and know that because the smallest details reflect upon the Council’s brand they deserve care and attention.
In this position, you will also work collaboratively with other communications team members and Council staff to support outreach events, media relations, and other communications initiatives aligned with the Council’s strategic objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Researching and writing content for print and electronic publication (including website, social media channels, videos and multimedia presentations), ensuring that high standards of editorial quality are maintained and that all content is aligned with strategic objectives and brand goals.
- Taking a lead role in developing and maintaining an informative, accessible voice and tone for Council communications using the principles of plain language communication.
- Recommending, developing and implementing online engagement strategies and social media campaigns for Council initiatives.
- Developing, writing, and deploying social-media and web-focused content across all platforms based on strategic objectives.
- Participating in the development of communications plans and working collaboratively with other staff to implement, evaluate and report on the effectiveness of communications initiatives.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, or a related discipline is required.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a communications role including four years’ hands-on experience working with digital communications including social media.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a demonstrated ability to write in a variety of styles for a range of audiences, and to translate complex concepts into plain language.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in social media, including best practices and tools.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a complex work environment.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Proficiency in standard computer applications (e.g. MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Work experience in a regulatory or legal setting is an asset.
- Experience in developing video scripts would be considered an asset.
About the Real Estate Council of BC
The Real Estate Council of BC protects consumers by regulating the conduct of licensed real estate professionals under the Real Estate Services Act. We licence and regulate more than 24,000 individuals and brokerages across BC.
Conveniently located near transit in the heart of downtown Vancouver, the Council offers a dynamic and supportive work environment. With just over 50 employees, you will become part of a collaborative team, along with finding the challenges, diversity and advancement possibilities you’re looking for. We are committed to fostering a collegial environment that welcomes new ideas and rewards innovative thinking, and we believe that the key to high performance lies in great work-life balance. Becoming a member of the employee team at the Council means you will benefit from our flexible work options, education and training opportunities, and generous benefits package – as well as the satisfaction of contributing to consumer protection through the regulation of real estate licensees.
How to Apply
To explore this exciting opportunity further, please read the full job description.
If you have the skills and qualifications to succeed in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter in confidence to the attention of Michael O’Brien at HnO Consulting Inc., clearly describing why you are a good fit for this position and how your knowledge and experience will contribute to the Council’s success.
Please also include, in separate attachments, writing samples demonstrating your ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences. (Ideally, each sample is no more than 500 words).
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role and wish to advise that we will be in direct contact only with those that we wish to interview.