BC Children’s Hospital is one of the most recognized and highly regarded institutions in the province and has been rated the top brand in BC through research conducted by Insights West.
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation serves to support the tremendous efforts of the Hospital – its amazing medical care and outstanding research. Our vision is ambitious: Every child is healthy and able to fulfill their hopes and dreams. Our mission: Be a catalyst for transformative child health through excellence in philanthropy, collaboration and advocacy.
The Foundation is looking for people who share our passion to better the lives of children and their families to join us in our quest and successfully advance our vision and mission.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Foundation is currently recruiting two communications writers.
In order to thrive in the position, our successful candidates will, first and foremost, be amazing storytellers – able to capture and disseminate both highly emotional and highly technical information for a wide variety of audiences in a vast array of media. We’re also looking for excellent organizational skills and the ability to schedule and balance your workload in a very busy, dynamic environment. And we want people with strategic, inquiring minds who will work with a great team of colleagues to continue to push our thinking and advance our work.
More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Determining the most effective and compelling ways to develop, tell and lay-out your stories;
- Writing and editing engaging short- and long-form copy for materials such as the annual report, magazine, impact reports, video scripts, speaking notes, presentations, print/digital advertising, social media content, brochures and e-newsletters;
- Coordinating content development from various contributing sources including other departments, contractors and other external partners;
- Managing photography needs for some projects including sourcing images and/or scheduling and attending photo shoots;
- Conducting research and interviews with hospital staff, patient families, donors and other stakeholders with sensitivity to develop print and digital content;
- Managing the delivery of content to internal design team members and/or external partners;
- Ensuring consistent and compelling tone and execution of the brand guidelines in all materials;
- Providing strategic, professional and innovative communications advice;
- Fostering collaborative relationships with foundation/hospital staff as well as other internal and external stakeholders, partners and suppliers;
- Managing all files using a systematic approach for ease of use and time efficiency;
- Meeting project objectives, quality standards and required timing for all projects;
- Managing all projects and/or campaigns in accordance with the goals and priorities of the Marketing & Communications team;
- Working closely with all members of the Marketing & Communications team to ensure a fully integrated approach that maximizes impact in the most resource-efficient manner.
As the successful candidate, you will have a university degree or community college diploma in public relations, marketing, communications, journalism or a related area, and a minimum of 5 years of experience in a communications copywriting role (or the equivalent acceptable combination of education and experience).
Additionally, you demonstrate the following:
- Ability to think and act strategically, thrive in a high-demand team and communicate sensitive information;
- Experience copywriting in long-copy formats including printed reports/blogs as well as short- copy formats including social media posts/advertising;
- Strong writing, editing skills and proofreading skills with an ability to convey compelling stories for a variety of audiences;
- Ability to translate complex and technical information into layperson’s terms;
- Solid oral and written communication skills;
- Well-developed project management, systems development and organizational skills;
- Detail-oriented with a keen eye for accuracy;
- Ability to multi-task and constantly reprioritize work in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Understanding of the fundraising cycle and prior experience and/or knowledge of the non-profit, hospital, or health-care sector are assets.
We offer a comprehensive salary and benefit package, the option to work a nine-day fortnight and a commitment to professional development in a dynamic team environment. If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply online at www.bcchf.ca/careers by Thursday, November 10th, 2016.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.