Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port of Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 360 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. We lead the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $184 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
The Community Relations Specialist is responsible for building awareness and support for the Port’s long-term business plan and related strategic initiatives by developing VFPA’s community relations and outreach program. This includes: planning and implementing community outreach activities; providing guidance to the educational outreach program; promoting and providing tours and presentations; coordinating special events; supporting the negotiation of event sponsorships; researching community issues; planning and implementing community engagement activities; and assisting with other related activities as directed. This also includes supporting and participating in VFPA and Canada Place marketing initiatives and events.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee the activities of the CRS team and the Leadership Students, providing functional guidance, mentorship and daily support, as well as participate in the recruitment process.
- Develop, implement and evaluate training programs for the CRS and Leadership Student teams. Modify training programs as required.
- Recommend, develop and implement evaluation of the Community Relations Program with an emphasis on long-term community relationship development.
- Ensure alignment of Community Relations messaging with the Community Awareness Campaign
- Plan, execute and manage the community outreach experience at all activations, ensuring alignment with corporate messaging and Community Awareness Campaign, while providing an interactive, educational and positive engagement experience for community members.
- Work with suppliers and vendors to design and produce the signage, activities and materials needed.
- Identify, initiate and recommend communications tactics (including internal communications, social media, and media relations) to support community relations programs and goals.
- Coordinate on-site community relations activations on the promenade and elsewhere at Canada Place during peak seasons, representing both Canada Place and VFPA messaging
- Develop and implement an operations plan for the port’s Discovery Centre.
- Under direction, lead the planning and implementation of new content and an ongoing content strategy for the Discovery Centre.
- Support the coordination and implementation of harbour tours, receptions, fundraising activities, port-hosted conferences, AGM, etc
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
As a successful candidate, you have completed a two-year full-time diploma in communications, marketing or related business studies from a recognized institution along with a minimum of 2 years related experience in community relations, marketing or public relations. Must have experience working with large-scale community events. Must have previous experience in delivering presentations to large audiences of various stakeholder groups. Must have experience in team scheduling and training. Experience presenting to school groups and the ability to speak a second language will be definite assets. Completion of requirements for full BC Driver’s License will be an asset.
This position requires a self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy and the ability to liaise effectively and positively with both staff and outside contacts. Must have an excellent command of the English language, both oral and written, along with excellent presentation skills. Must be a team player with a “customer service” focus and a tolerance for ambiguity. Must be able to provide appropriate guidance and support to a team. Good organizational skills and flexibility to perform multiple tasks is required.
Normal office conditions with the occasional requirement to work or respond to calls on weekends and evenings at or related to events.
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line by visiting http://www.portvancouver.com/careers/.
(Please note this posting will remain open until filled.)
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.