Working in accordance with the organization’s strategic vision, core values and leadership competencies, reporting to the Senior Employee Communications Manager, this position is responsible for the execution of internal communication plans and tactics to support change management initiatives consistent with corporate and departmental priorities to support one FortisBC culture.
- In consultation with the Senior Manager, Employee Communications, the Employee Communication Specialist develops, implements and evaluates communications strategies in support of internal audience engagement around organizational projects, business priorities and strategic initiatives
- Supports the confidential strategic and communication needs of Human Resources and Corproate initiatives as required. Facilitates the development of FortisBC’s employee communications strategy to advance internal audience engagement.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships; collaborate with others in the effective execution of communication plans and strategies. Acts as an ambassador for key internal project and corporate culture initiatives.
- Researches, writes and distributes original content across all FortisBC’s internal communication channels, including, but not limited to: e-newsletters, leadership briefings, intranet posts, videos, Executive messages and project updates.
- Works closely with corporate communications teams to ensure consistent messaging and alignment with corporate brand. Works collaboratively with leaders in the development of operational communication tools, including speeches and presentations, memos, issues notes, surveys and bulletins.
- Provides counsel to leaders to enhance and protect organizational reputation, including identifying and advocating adoption of fresh approaches to employee engagement as appropriate. Plans and executes all aspects of special events and forums supporting internal audience engagement.
- Acts as a project manager in executing communications tactics in accordance with overall strategic plans, along with monitoring costs and budgets, timelines, resources and measuring outcomes. Provides communications support to project teams as required. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Communications or Journalism, or equivalent from a recognized program, plus a minimum of five (5) years’ related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Experience working in/with a corporate Human Resources department an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, with exemplary attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic and proactive communications, engagement and social initiatives to support (champion), engagement and culture and build employee support
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively including expert writing, interpersonal, diplomacy, and presentation skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated critical thinking coupled with the ability to produce effective products and campaigns.
- Demonstrated content planning skills.
- Demonstrated experience with video production.
- Demonstrated solutions-focus, positive attitude, maturity and ability to engage a variety of busy stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate events and forums to advance stakeholder engagement with organizational initiatives.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to independently research, prioritize and assemble details for all aspects of a project or initiative.
- A results-oriented and enthusiastic team player who thrives on new challenges and responds nimbly to new priorities.
- Strong customer service skills to adeptly investigate client needs and negotiate communication solutions that are both cost effective and aligned with stated audience needs.
- Demonstrates flexibility and the willingness to work across individual roles to deliver collaborative communication solutions.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of BC Utility regulatory environment
- Contributes to a team environment by working efficiently, professionally and in a friendly manner, and establishes and maintains a harmonious working relationship with all colleagues.
- Advanced computer skills in organizational electronic communication technology, publishing and web-based communications.
- Ability to drive for results through planning, alignment, execution, and customer experience/responsiveness
- Ability to make optimal decisions through accountability, judgement, problem solving, prudent risk taking, market/industry awareness, and maintaining customer focus
- Ability to drive and implement prudent change through continuous improvement, challenge the status quo/innovation, flexibility/adaptability and customer value – innovative customer solutions Ability to build working relationships through respect & integrity, open communication, teamwork, negotiation/influence and customer relationship management
- Ability to lead high performance through leading by example & initiative, continuous learning & coaching, measuring, rewarding & recognizing, customer service