Destination Canada is a national marketing organization. Known as one of the most innovative and successful tourism marketing organizations in the world, Destination Canada, through partnerships with the private sector and all levels of government, promotes Canada internationally as a premier four-season tourist destination.
Our vision is to inspire the world to explore Canada. We do so by promoting a compelling and consistent image of our country in the international tourism marketplace.
Share our vision?
Destination Canada is looking for a Global Marketing Communications Strategist to join our team.
An experienced media and PR professional, you’ll plan, develop and implement strategies to drive earned media across multiple channels, including: digital, social and traditional. A strong relationship builder, you’ll be able to work with our agencies and teams in international markets, keeping an eye on measurable impacts and ROI.
You’ll feel the impact of your contribution as you pitch and enable us to tell stories that will inspire the world to explore Canada.
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, or another field directly related to the position, or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
- Some formal training in digital media and/or social or public relations would be considered an asset.
Experience: When applying, the candidate must clearly demonstrate in writing how they meet the following experience criteria:
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience in communications (media relations, social media, public relations).
- Experience in an international media environment would be an asset.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic communications plans.
- Experience providing advice to senior managers on communications related issues.
- Experience utilizing environmental scans, strategic frameworks and public opinion research to determine insights and trends.
- Experience in managing staff, agencies, consultants.
- Extensive experience in project management and client/business analysis.
- Experience in sourcing content from multiple sources.
- Experience in working in a partnership environment.
- Experience in Canadian tourism industry would be an asset.
- Fluent in French would be an asset.
- Strong knowledge of media relations, promotions and communications practices that will leverage Canada’s destination stories.
- Good understanding of content marketing and communication channels.
- Good understanding of theories and concepts of the nature and dynamics of Canada’s economy and the potential for tourism development in a dynamic global marketplace.
- Knowledge of the tourism industry as it relates to travel media would be an asset.
- Knowledge of project management and planning including financial and administrative management.
- Understanding and application of a company’s strategic principles for all plans and activities.
- Understanding of government relations with respect to crown corporations.
- Knowledge of the latest broadcast and travel media trends would be an asset.
- Excellent ability to write well in a modern and dynamic style.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Initiative and judgment required to manage and coordinate media activities and to provide advice to internal and external clients.
- Ability to juggle many projects simultaneously.
- Presentation skills, tools and techniques (e.g. slide presentations, travel media campaigns, multi‑media tools, trade fairs).
For more details about what we need and how to apply, please visit our Careers section at https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/careers. The deadline for this competition is March 26, 2017. Please note in your application where you learned about this competition.