(12 month Maternity Leave Replacement)
The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR) empowers British Columbia’s best and brightest health researchers to pursue world-class innovation and stretch the bounds of what health research can achieve.
Inspired by the memory and passion of Nobel Laureate Dr. Michael Smith, the Foundation was created in 2001 by the BC government to build provincial capacity for health research. Since its inception, MSFHR has received approximately $450 million from the provincial government to bolster BC’s capacity to develop new treatments and cures; help BC’s health system be more effective and responsive to emerging health threats; and keep BC’s health research sector globally competitive.
The Foundation helps BC’s health research community discover solutions to our greatest health challenges; connect knowledge and action on provincial priorities; and engage partners to improve the research enterprise. Our programs help recruit and retain top scientists and support them to build world-class research programs in BC.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing & Communications, the Marketing Communications & Design Coordinator supports the development and implementation of MSFHR’s strategic marketing and communications plans and related activities, including oversight of organizational branding and graphic standards. This role also provides graphic design, writing and editing, event planning, distribution, and print production services for the Marketing & Communications team and the rest of the Foundation. This 12 month maternity leave replacement has the possibility of extension.
Branding & graphic design
- Maintains organizational style guide and provides editing, formatting and proofreading services for all MSFHR departments.
- Develops and maintains MSFHR graphic and brand standards and ensures their consistent application by internal and external stakeholders.
- Designs marketing materials for print and online – including conceptualization, creation and execution.
- Ensures strong relationships with various vendors, including printers, manages relationship with vendors for coordination of content and materials, liaison with suppliers, and production.
- Administers organizational sponsorship program, including acting as primary contact for sponsors; ensuring delivery of agreed-upon benefits; and post-event documentation.
- Assists in the development of and implements internal communications strategies, including staff lunch and learn sessions and other staff engagement activities.
- Manages MSFHR’s intranet and makes recommendations as necessary to improve functionality. Writes content in an appealing matter to engage staff. Serves as a resource to staff to help them maximize organizational collaboration tool.
- Monitors media for health research stories related to our awardees and industry; compiles appropriate stories to share with staff and on social media.
- Responds to inquiries from media by triaging request and directing to the appropriate internal resource.
- Maintains MSFHR’s list of media contacts.
Communication planning & execution
- Participates in departmental strategic planning and the planning of various communications projects, working collaboratively with all members of Marketing & Communications team and other staff, as appropriate.
- Executes internal and external marketing & communications plans and projects; communicates with key internal and external stakeholders to fulfill these duties.
- Supports event planning.
- Manages and maintains email marketing system and associated distribution lists.
- Supports development and monitoring of relevant parts of departmental budget.
- Ensures ongoing work standards are met, particularly standards for discretion, judgment, accuracy and timeliness, and that reports and other regularly recurring tasks are completed effectively and on time.
- Ensures that the department’s service standards are met on a daily and weekly basis by setting priorities for own workload.
- This job description outlines the key responsibilities for the role, and is not meant to be exhaustive. Other responsibilities and tasks may be assigned, or may naturally become a part of this role over time.
- A post-secondary degree or certificate in communications, marketing, public relations or related discipline.
- Minimum three to four years’ experience in a communications department setting. Work experience in a research, non-profit, health care or educational setting an asset.
- OR Equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills; strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of typography, layout, graphics and colour theory; ability to conceptualize, design and execute, with an impeccable eye for detail and accuracy.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop).
- Knowledge of print production is an asset.
- Excellent computer skills including demonstrated intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), email marketing software and content management software.
- Ability to write in a variety of styles for a range of audiences and to translate complicated scientific concepts into lay language.
- Demonstrated ability to implement plans for communications projects, including publications and events.
- Ability to identify priorities, complete multiple tasks and deliver results on deadline without close supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with stressful, sensitive or difficult situations with tact and diplomacy, including ability to exercise judgment and discretion.
How to Apply
If this sounds like you and you would like to play a role in maximizing the impact of health research in BC please apply online on the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research careers page by Sunday, February 19, 2017: http://www.msfhr.org/about/careers. A cover letter is required and please also submit a sample of your work with your resume that showcases your design talent (flyer, poster, brochure, etc.).