The City of New Westminster has an exciting temporary opportunity for a Public Engagement Coordinator. We are seeking a dynamic and creative individual who will be responsible for coordinating the City of New Westminster’s public engagement strategy and initiatives. Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Economic Development, you will be responsible for partnering with various departments in the strategic planning and evaluation of major engagement activities. You will work closely with staff to create an engagement culture; and will develop mechanisms to assist public stakeholders with understanding public issues. Your responsibilities also include organizing and coordinating public engagement and community outreach programs; reviewing and evaluating engagement systems and activities; and providing communication consultation, training and assistance to internal staff on implementing engagement tools. You are a self-starter who exercises Considerable independence of judgment and action in the creative aspects of the work. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or public relations, or related field, plus sound related experience in public/community engagement tactics, principles and strategies. An equivalent combination of education and experience as acceptable to the employer may be considered.
- Thorough knowledge of communications and public/community engagement processes and initiatives, Experience in a municipal setting is considered an asset.
- Sound knowledge of marketing and promotion practices and strategies.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in developing and implementing public engagement initiatives.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external contacts and the public.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and proficiency in preparing and prepare content for reports, marketing and informational materials.
- Sound presentation skills and demonstrated experience in the facilitation of meetings and workshops.
- Sound organization skills and proficient in preparing and maintaining a variety of records, files, correspondence and reports related to the work.
- Sound Computer skills and use of software applications such as MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, In-Design and Photo Shop.
- Class 5 driver’s license for the province of British Columbia.
*Applicants must be flexible and available to work a variety of shifts including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #17-27, by March 3, 2017, to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.