Location: Surrey, BC, CA
Affiliation: Management & Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Workplace Flexibility: Yes
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
You’re exceptional at building and maintaining the company’s public image, and implementing strategic communication and proactive media relations initiatives to support FortisBC. A natural collaborator at heart, you build partnerships and relationships with clients and colleagues with ease. Your strategic mindset allows you to engage your audience through storytelling.
This role develops and implements strategic communication plans, establishes and maintains media relationships, identifies public issues, creates stakeholder messaging, and acts as corporate spokesperson. You enjoy researching, writing, editing and overseeing the production of various communication materials, which may include executive presentations, corporate announcements, corporate profiles, annual reports, and news releases.
As our Corporate Communications Advisor, you’ll work with various departments and media outlets to craft messages to support a wide variety of topics. You’ll also provide leadership to help identify and manage potential risks pertaining to our reputation and business interests and develop communications strategies related to specific corporate and departmental initiatives.
In year 1, you will:
- Develop a thorough understanding of FortisBC’s key initiatives and priorities and how they fit into the greater climate goals of the company and our customers.
- Identify opportunities to tell our success stories through various channels (video, digital, social media, print, etc.).
- Ensure there are standard key messages/talking points created for management to use for primary corporate issues when in discussion with stakeholders.
- Provide clients and colleagues with media relations advice and counsel, media training, news release writing, media distribution processes and media monitoring/issues tracking.
In year 2, you will:
- Continue delivering on year one items and enhance communications strategies.
- Deliver communication and engagement pieces to support the regulatory process.
- Successfully lead and navigate emergent issues and shape a positive public response.
What it takes:
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or a directly related discipline and four (4) to seven (7) years relevant work experience.
- An extremely detail-oriented mindset with a proven strategic acumen.
- Proactive and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to be, on a rotational basis, part of the 24/7 on-call departmental emergency response team, to respond to media enquiries in the interest of public.
- A confident, concise and effective communication style to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
In this role, you will have the option to participate in a flexible work program, enabling you to work from an approved flex location in British Columbia up to 85 days a year (equivalent to approximately two days a week), subject to business or operational needs.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.
To learn about this role and to apply online, please visit careers.fortisbc.com