The Metro Vancouver Transit Police Service is the Lower Mainland’s newest police service and the only one of its kind in Canada. In joining the Transit Police, you will be playing a key role in the safety of commuters and members of communities throughout the Lower Mainland. You will be helping to build the image of transit as a safe and desirable alternative to the personal automobile, which will ensure that the Lower Mainland remains a livable region for generations to come.
TSM Strategic Services
Implements Transit Police’s strategic communications plan and monitors internal and external communication. Assists in analyzing external environment to help shape the strategic communications plan and activities.
- Assists in the development and implementation of Transit Police’s strategic communication plan, monitoring and reviewing external and internal communication to ensure consistency with the plan. Coordinates communication activities including development and delivery of timely and strategic messaging in response to incidents/issues, in consultation with the Transit Police Executive and Senior Management Teams.
- Drafts communication for internal stakeholders and external public including but not limited to, Transit Police’s website updates, social media, employee intranet, bulletins, employee directed emails and general requests from the public. Acts as a point of contact for marketing and Transit Police’s published public reports. Assists the Media Relations team in distributing media releases and advisories and coordinates occasional press conferences and public events.
- Liaises regularly with internal stakeholders to develop required materials for distribution, consistent messaging and Transit Police’s visual identity and ensures compliance with Transit Police’s communication standards at all times. Works closely with external contractors to deliver a wide variety of material including photographs, videos, website updates, signage, brochures and other collateral material.
- Builds and maintains external relationships in order to effectively support Transit Police’s vision. Liaises with partner agencies (Jurisdictional Police, TransLink and its subsidiaries, etc.) at both the practitioner and executive levels to foster positive relationships and coordinate an appropriate communications response and strategy to highly sensitive events and media enquiries.
- Monitors and analyses internal and external events, trends and initiatives to identify threats and opportunities, and shapes communications strategy and activities in response.
Education and Experience:
The competencies for this position would be acquired through completion of a university degree in Communications or a related field plus three (3) years’ experience in corporate communications or public relations within a large public organization with experience in electronic publishing.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills with the ability to develop and implement communication strategies, plans and a variety of communication materials, including web and social media content.
- Solid knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts, practices and techniques of strategic communications with sound knowledge of current trends, best practices, electronic publishing and social media.
- Solid interpersonal and relationship building skills with ability to recognize political and other sensitivities, and develop credibility with internal stakeholders through communication.
- Working knowledge of standard office tools including word processing, web-based and presentation software, web technology, content management tools such as HTML and WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator).
- Solid project management, analytical and problem solving skills with organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of law enforcement environment is preferred, including sound knowledge of the relevant Acts such as the Police Act and Freedom of Information Act.
- Photography and videography experience, including editing skills, would be an asset.
Conditions of Employment
Applicant will be required to possess or have the ability to obtain and maintain enhanced security clearance.
How to Apply
Please click the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page or go to http://www.transitpolice.bc.ca/careers to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Posting Date: November 29, 2018
Closing Date: January 20, 2019
Please note that only those short listed will be contacted.
Having trouble applying? Please view the System Requirements & FAQ's by going to http://www.translink.ca/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Transit Police are committed to employment equity