Join the growing number of certified communication professionals! Professional certification can elevate your career and help keep your skills fresh and applicable. It provides a great opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and expertise – and a commitment to professional development. It could help you land your next big opportunity or perform at a higher level in your current role.
IABC launched a certification program that will offer four levels of certification to communication professionals. The certification program is administered by the Global Communication Certification Council (GCCC) – an arm’s length organization established by IABC for this purpose.
Learn more about GCCC and certification programs.
Two levels of certification are now available:
- Communication Management Professional (CMP)— for generalist, specialist and other business communicators established in their careers and looking to demonstrate their competence.
- Strategic Communication Management Professional (SCMP)— for highly skilled business communicators practiced in providing strategic communication advice and counsel to an organization’s leadership.
Steps to become certified
On the GCCC site:
- Review the requirements
- Download the latest candidate handbook
- Submit your application and pay the fee
When your application has been approved, you’re ready to take the exam (see upcoming exam dates and locations).
Interested in writing an exam in Vancouver?
The IABC/BC chapter may host exam sittings once or twice each year (likely April and November) if there are interested candidates. One exam session allows for candidates writing at either level of certification. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org in confidence to let us know if you’re interested. The next sessions planned:
- Vancouver: January 26, 2021
Maintain your certification
Once you’re certified, you must maintain your certification through continuing professional development and an annual fee.
Certified Communication Professionals in B.C.
Visit the GCCC website for the current list of CMP and SCMP graduates around the world. Congratulations to the following certified communicators located in British Columbia (as at September 2019):
- Adam Brayford, SCMP
- Angela MacKenzie, CMP
- Brenda Lea Brown, ABC, SCMP
- Brett Harper, CMPElaine O’Connor, CMP
- Erica Simpson, CMP
- Heather Merry, SCMP
- Jacqueline Wood, CMP
- Jennifer Killam, SCMP
- Jennifer Wah, ABC, MC, Fellow, SCMP
- Juli Holloway, SCMP
- Kathy Fowler, CMP
- Laurie Dawkins, ABC, MC, SCMP
- Lou Villahermosa, CMP
- Mark Fernandes, CMP
- Quinn Newcomb, CMP
- Shannon Henderson, CMP
- Summer Effray, CMP
Want to know more?
If you’re interested in receiving updates regarding certification from IABC/BC, including possible local exam offerings, please contact email@example.com.
Learn more about IABC’s legacy and the mastery demonstrated by those who earned the ABC Accreditation.