Simon Fraser University’s Office of the Vice-President, Research and International (VPRI) serves to encourage, facilitate, administer and promote research at SFU—nationally and internationally. We advocate and support university research while guiding policy development at academic and government levels. The VPRI Communications and Marketing (C&M) team’s mandate is to build on SFU’s positive research reputation by raising awareness of university-wide strategic initiatives and research excellence at SFU across all disciplines. The team is accountable for the public perception of SFU for research, innovation and sustainability.
The Digital Communications and Marketing Officer contributes to the development, implementation, assessment, and ongoing enrichment of marketing and communications initiatives related to the Vice-President, Research and International (VPRI) portfolio, while ensuring consistency with the portfolio’s strategic goals and objectives. The Officer assists in the development of the digital strategic plans for the VPRI portfolio, researching the usage and effectiveness of digital communications marketing (C&M) materials and channels, reporting findings and recommending improvements for the future. The Officer works in collaboration with the VPRI C&M team, SFU’s central C&M staff and SFU faculty communicators.
The VPRI C&M team is looking for an experienced professional in digital communications and marketing. We strongly encourage applicants who are well-versed in website best-practices and with experience in web content management systems, specifically Drupal and AEM. The position will lead the social media strategy for the portfolio and execute email campaigns for multiple stakeholders. Experience with email marketing platforms and graphic design is also an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, digital media, marketing, or a relevant discipline and four years of related professional experience in social media, digital content creation, marketing, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of communications, marketing, and campaign strategies, specifically digital C&M.
- Excellent knowledge of web design principles and current trends; content management systems; and best practices for organizing and tagging content for the web environment.
- Excellent knowledge of following institutional/organizational brand and editorial guidelines.
- Excellent knowledge of digital communication, promotion and marketing principles and practices, as well as strategies using digital and social media.
- Excellent knowledge of web analytics programs (i.e., Google Analytics).
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, analytical reasoning, and problem-solving skills, with the ability to network and develop effective working relationships.
- Excellent project management skills, including leading projects, communicating project statuses, and completing deliverables.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, including writing for web, social media and eBlasts.
- Proficient in the use of video editing and graphic design software (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) to create web-optimized assets (graphics, videos, etc.) for use on social media and website platforms.
- Excellent facilitation, conflict-resolution, interpersonal and communication (verbal, written, and presentation) skills.
- Excellent consensus building skills, teamwork and relationship management skills.
- Ability to research and draft communications including, but not limited to SFU News stories, activity reports, advertising, emails/eblasts and social media content.
- Ability to conceptualize, develop and manage strategic creative projects within timelines and budgets.
- Ability to exercise mature judgment, tact, sensitivity and a high level of discretion.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to organize administrative and planning systems and drafting digital procedures and reports.
- Ability to manage content on social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
- Ability to research and recognize complex research topics.
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.