The Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation provides compassionate HIV care for people living with significant health and social issues including mental illness, trauma, addictions, unstable housing and poverty.
Through its day health, 24-hour care residence and enhanced supportive housing programs, the Dr. Peter Centre provides healthy meals, counselling, therapies, nursing, and a safe place for peer socialization and support. This integrated model of care successfully engages individuals in their health care, improving adherence to HIV treatment and overall health.
The Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation is on the lookout for an enthusiastic and nimble communications officer to join our Development team. Our mission and values speak to you – and you take pride in showing up with integrity and compassion. The successful candidate will have appreciation for communication and development opportunities in support of our unique mission and role in the care and support systems for this population.
You are a generalist, comfortable at drawing on every tool in your communications toolkit: writing across a number of platforms, social media and website development – all with an eye on the strategic goals in play. The work here is rewarding, dynamic, and challenging.
As a member of the Development & Communications team, the Communications Officer is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the communications plan to help achieve the goals and objectives of the strategic plan of the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation.
The Communications Officer reports to the Director of Development and is responsible for the following:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive and integrated communications plan that supports the strategic plan of the Foundation;
- Facilitating media relations, public relations and government relations;
- Designing the foundation website, e-blasts, annual reports, newsletters, brochures, and other collateral marketing and communications materials;
- Managing the execution of above mentioned materials;
- With the support of an external Designer, managing the development and execution of event related materials;
- Developing social media messaging and keeping all online communications portals and other electronic tools current and up to date;
- Identifying and interviewing subjects for articles, testimonials, photo shoots and videos;
- Scheduling and briefing subjects for media interviews;
- Preparing press releases, organizational correspondence, briefing notes, reports, presentations, stewardship cards;
- Delivering at public/media events as required;
- Supporting fundraising events produced by the Development Team;
- Contributing to the content development for grant funding opportunities;
- Applying for awards and recognition opportunities without a monetary component;
- Stewarding prospects, media, clients, staff and volunteers appropriately;
- Developing efficient, effective and appropriate procedures;
- Reporting on communications plan progress to the Director of Development;
- Contributing to an environment of collaboration, respect and teamwork;
- Representing the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation and the Dr. Peter Centre in a professional and ethical manner to ensure that the reputation of the Foundation is maintained and enhanced;
- Conducting all business activities in accordance with Dr. Peter Foundation terms and conditions of employment, policies and procedures; and
- Performing other related duties as assigned/required.
Education, Qualifications and Experience
The preferred education, qualifications and experience of the Communications Officer are:
- Undergraduate degree or certificate in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related discipline; or equivalent training and experience;
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in communications;
- Understanding of issues faced by vulnerable populations, including people living with HIV/AIDS, mental illness, addiction, poverty, homelessness, &/or discrimination; and
- Demonstrated success building and managing key relationships with partners and stakeholders.
The ideal candidate shows up with a strong work ethic, is highly motivated, enthusiastic and has the following qualifications:
- Handles information with sensitivity and confidentiality;
- Has a meticulous dedication to accuracy and consistency in all writing projects;
- Thinks strategically while implementing a number of related tactics;
- Managing multiple projects and priorities effectively;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Marketing communications aptitude;
- Intermediate web design, social media and graphic design skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication proficiency; and
- Works collaboratively with colleagues, volunteers and board members.
General Working Conditions
Normal business hours are Monday to Friday; however, this position requires flexibility, the ability to prioritize workload, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment where demands and deadlines may change with short notice. Working hours must be flexible in order to meet deadlines and to support many development and communications functions/activities that occur outside of the normal business hours. Evening and weekend work will be required.
$49,420 - $54,495