About our team
We are a valued team of storytellers who are a driving force in creating the best possible experience for our patients. Our communications team is integral to our organization. You will work alongside health care providers and research leaders known around the world for treatment, innovation and care. Being a trusted leader regarding highly complex issues and projects will keep you busy.
We are looking for a leader who will be:
- A savvy member of a large, complex organization – skilled in working in a matrix environment, collaborative in building relationships, and smart in knowing how to prioritize competing interests and requests.
- A self-starter who takes initiative to creatively identify engagement opportunities, respond quickly to issues, and advise on effective messages.
- A supportive team player who views their role as helping and enabling their colleagues’ success, as much as securing support for their own.
- An effective storyteller who can put our best foot forward when managing change.
Reporting to the leader of a Communications team the Communications Officer is responsible for developing and supporting implementation of comprehensive engagement strategies for PHSA programs and services. He or she will provide expertise and guidance to peers in writing, editing and producing consistent and quality communications and stakeholder engagement materials for the PHSA. The Communications Officer develops a coordinated action plan to ensure communications are high quality, consistent and facilitate change while maintaining relationships among both internal and external stakeholders. The Communications Officer, in collaboration with the Corporate Communications team, also works on internal communication activities specifically related to building a culture of staff engagement and excellence. Team lead assignments are fluid and may shift based upon team priorities and activities.
- Develops comprehensive communications and stakeholder engagement plans in support of inter-departmental process redesigns and transformational business strategy initiatives.
- Liaises with representatives from other Health Authorities, the Ministry of Health, provincial and federal agencies, healthcare companies, research institutions and universities, members of the community including patients, affiliated professional organizations and affiliated groups, and the general public to respond to requests for information, as well as to collaborate on joint initiatives and events.
- Writes, edits and produces diverse communications such as social and on-line media, internal briefs, newsletters, brochures, displays, speeches, and presentations. Must ensure overall quality, consistency and effectiveness of complex communication materials.
- Provides advice and guidance to team members in all aspects of written work to ensure quality messages and materials. Contributes to the development and content management of the programs and services online content.
- Liaises with stakeholders, both internal and external, to develop a broad understanding of important issues, challenges and strategic directions being undertaken and to foster open dialogue between key stakeholders and communicates messages clearly and concisely to promote awareness of initiatives and contribute to a positive reputation for PHSA.
- Measures and evaluates internal and external awareness of the goals and priorities of PHSA
- Guides department and project leaders through the engagement planning process, including the completion of stakeholder assessments, development of key messages and selection of appropriate communication/change strategies to ensure that plans meet the specific needs of project and stakeholder audiences.
- Any other duties related to the role that may arise.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least five years' experience in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing.
- Ability to write a communications plan.
- Proven writing skills.
- Issues management experience.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in proactive public relations, and identifying and executing story opportunities.
- Proficiency in digital literacy, including content creation, posting and distribution.
- Ability to deal with multiple tasks and deliver required results on deadline.
- Experience with posting and maintaining web content.
- Desire to foster and further a culture of diversity and inclusiveness.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) reflecting the ability to inspire teamwork, confidence and cooperation.
- critical-thinking and problem-solving skills with a global perspective.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, Adobe Acrobat, database and web-based programs.
Nice to have
- Experience with social media analytics and strategy, including Hootsuite.
- Experience with web design and SharePoint.
- Skills in digital and mobile video production.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. For more information, visit www.phsa.ca
APPLY TODAY to qualify for an interview by clicking the link below to view the current opportunities and register for the first time or enter your username and password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
For more information on all that PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.