- Posting Title COMM O 21R - Communications Specialist
- Position Classification Communications Officer R21
- Union GEU
- Location Victoria, BC V9B6X2 CA (Primary)
- Salary Range $58,629.96 - $66,726.25 annually
- Close Date 9/06/2019
- Job Type Regular Full Time
- Ministry/Organization BC Public Service -> Municipal Affairs & Housing
- Ministry Branch / Division Islands Trust
Job Summary Communications Specialist (Communications Officer R21)
A step in the right direction to further your career in communications
The Islands Trust is a federated body responsible for protecting the unique amenities and environment of 13 major gulf islands and more than 450 smaller islands and surrounding waters in the southern Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound. Created by the Province via the Islands Trust Act, Islands Trust plans and regulates local land use, advocates on key environmental issues impacting the area, and protects land through the Islands Trust Conservancy. Islands Trust works closely with other government agencies and First Nations to accomplish its mandate.
The Communications Specialist develops, coordinates, delivers and evaluates corporate communications and public relations strategies that advance the provincial object of the Islands Trust, the goals and policies of the Islands Trust Policy Statement, the Islands Trust Council’s Strategic Plan and the land use planning authority of Local Trust Committees. In order to provide time-sensitive advice to elected officials and staff on high-profile issues, the Communications Specialist stays current with emerging issues affecting residents, property owners, staff and elected officials of the Islands Trust Area. The Communications Specialist also manages projects involving all departments of the Islands Trust such as the annual report.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact TWood@islandstrust.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. Please Apply Here. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree, diploma or certificate in English, Journalism, Communications, or Public Relations or equivalent.
- 3 years directly related experience managing complex or controversial public policy issues, designing public engagement strategies, creating professional communications materials and liaising with news media OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
Preference may be given to candidates with the following experience:
- Delivering public relations, corporate communications or media relations for a public body.
- Writing and editing in plain language under tight deadlines.
- Using design and office software to create attractive and informative publications including formatting of webpages, presentation slides, tables, graphs and images.
- Working with content management systems.
- Using inter-personal, oral, written and web-based communications, using plain language.
- Designing and developing websites.
- 4 years directly related experience managing complex or controversial public policy issues, designing public engagement strategies, creating professional communications materials and liaising with news media.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES - A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES - Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) - As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.