Looking for a job where the phone rarely rings, you get to call a working group together if an “issue” arises, and your daily email count is in double digits? That’s great. Good luck and keep searching.
If, however, you are yearning for a fast-paced, constantly changing, adrenalin-filled job as part of an award-winning professional communications and engagement team then, yeah, let’s talk.
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is seeking a Director of Public Affairs to lead its dynamic issues management, media relations, and stakeholder/community engagement team. Reporting to the Vice President of Communications & Public Affairs, the Director of Public Affairs is responsible for timely and coordinated strategic planning and operational leadership of the public affairs and external relations functions within our team.
On a day-to-day basis, the Director of Public Affairs plays a key role in proactively identifying fires and making sure those that do light up are extinguished quickly and responsibly. Most of all, you believe in and adhere to our principles of accountability and transparency as you provide communications advice and support to VCH, along with the coordination of media events and external announcements. You also work with our small but mighty stakeholder and community engagement functions, including our Community Engagement Advisory Network (CEAN), to ensure the patient voice is considered in the planning of high-priority health services.
Working closely with senior leaders across all levels of VCH, the Director also liaises with government, media contacts, and other external agencies as well as other health authorities, regional boards and partner agencies on common issues, announcements, and engagement opportunities.
Key Accountabilities (or the things we expect you to do without raising a sweat):
- Oversee effective media relations, issues management and reputation management strategies and initiatives for VCH, working both proactively and reactively to improve and enhance the organization’s reputation.
- Provide leadership and expertise in the development of standardized, strategic Public Relations policies, procedures, initiatives and services.
- Oversee and/or leads high profile corporate initiatives and ensures appropriate organizational branding and reputation management in accordance with overall vision and strategy.
- Ensure the public and patient voice is engaged in VCH strategy development and decision making as required.
- Oversee coordination of media relations events and announcements, and related engagement opportunities, including community open houses and focus groups.
- Develop, coordinate and monitor effective financial and workforce plans within operational demands and environmental constraints.
- Provide overall leadership and direction to team members using effective management techniques (e.g., coaching, mentoring, skill and leadership development, performance management).
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- And, it goes without saying, perform other related duties as assigned!
Qualifications (or the things the HR folks want you to have):
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations or other relevant discipline (or a combination Bachelor’s Degree and professional certification or accreditation) plus a minimum of ten (10) years’ recent, related experience in progressively more complex senior management/leadership roles in a large, multi-union environment.
- Our preferred candidate may also have experience in or familiarity with the principles of public participation and/or facilitation.
- Qualified applicants only please submit a resume and covering letter quoting competition # 099202-kco.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Applyinstructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.